1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

im so new you have no idea

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by urban hillbilly, Nov 1, 2013.

1. urban hillbilly

urban hillbilly New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    i just moved about an hr north of nyc i have no background in any of this what so ever so here i go i have 3.5 acres i would like to get some quail for eggs meat and training dogs chickens for eggs and meat guinea hens for tick problem that i have and rabbits for meat

chicken ?
    I'm think about building a coop 8 feet x 8 feet x 8 feet with a 10 feet (L)x 8 feet(W) x 6 feet(H) run the winter up here are cold how hot should it be in there and how many chickens would be conformable in there

quail ?
    looking to build a 5 feet x 5 feet x 5 feet wire cage how big should the enclosure be and how many birds can i keep in there
    should it be hot in the about what temp should i put a roof on the pen is it ok to have them out in the winter in the wire cage

rabbits?
    I'm thinking 6 feet (L) x 6 feet (W) 4 feet (H) which another enclosure for them to sleep in please let me know if any of this sounds crazy i need all the help i can get

ps i like my animals to have some room
    The Newbie

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us!

3. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG] You should be able to house about 16 chickens in a 64 sq ft coop. I live in Alaska and do not heat my coop.
    As far as the quail and rabbits I have no idea.

5. urban hillbilly

urban hillbilly New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks so much

6. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as quail, you want about 1 sq. foot per bird. I can't help you with rabbits.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! There are some threads on rabbits in the Other Pets & Livestock section.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Start reading the Learning Center at the top of the page. .. you'll learn a lot! Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by