I'm so pretty, oh so pretty! but what am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lexa, May 24, 2007.

1. lexa

lexa Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    This is one of my girls! Her clutch is so big, but she won't get off of it for me to count, OUCH! [​IMG] Good protective mama! She's currently in the back of a pickup truck so at least I know I'll be able to collect all the babies when they hatch. There's no way they're getting out without my help!

Can anyone tell me what she is? I have a couple others that look similar to her. I just love them, they're gorgeous!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    I'm no expert but she doesn't seem to be covering the eggs too well. Did you lift her up to cout the eggs before you took the picture?[​IMG]

3. lexa

lexa Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Well, I took the photo after trying to move her to count the eggs. That is why her wing is out all funny and why she's half off the eggs looking ticked off. She has that "I'm going to peck you harder this time if you get that camera any closer to me" look! [​IMG] She was sitting on them perfectly normal until I disturbed her.

4. DementedHam

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Cool![​IMG]
    How long has she been on them? My leghorn went broody and sat on hers for a week but then chose not to.[​IMG] I was so sad. But in about a month or so (if not more) I'm getting 5 babies. 2 for me and 3 for my little cousin.

5. lexa

lexa Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Well... that's a good question! I don't know how long she's been sitting [​IMG] She is in the back of a pickup that was filled with bumpers and stuff. We started to empty it out and there she was! Wouldn't move for ANYTHING! There was another girl in there sitting as well. She got so scared when we moved a few things around her she came charging out screaming bloody murder! That one has 11 eggs and it looks like they've been there for a while. But, I don't know how long this girl has been sitting, her eggs look very clean and fresh. I hope she hasn't been sitting long since our coop isn't anywhere near done! We've only got posts in the ground right now! We're working frantically to get an enclosure going because we've got a total of 7 hens sitting... oh wait 6, one brood hatched yesterday!

[​IMG]

6. DementedHam

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Awesome! [​IMG] Post pictures![​IMG] I love looking at pictures of mother hens with their broods. My friend found her hen with chicks on friday and she didn't even want babies!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I want to say your hen is some sort of mix with polish way back in her lineage. Maybe 1/4 polish and something else?

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I don't know what she is, but she sure is beautiful!

And your right, she looks REALLY REALLY irritated!

Can't wait to see pics of your babies!

9. lexa

lexa Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Silkiechicken - Thanks! I looked up Polish Chickens on Google Images and I can see where you would say that. Some of them seem to have that black & white spotting that she has. But she certainly is a mix, because she sure doesn't have the head-dresses the purebreds do!! [​IMG]

Here is another one of my girls that looks like her. You can see a few of her chicks with her (she's actually got 8 I think). I love her tail! It is alway so proud, and is a perfect pyramid from the back!

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad photo, but she was so far away and my little digital camera doesn't have the best zoom, but at least in this one she isn't looking directly away from the camera!!

[​IMG]

10. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by