I'm so proud of my girls!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arlee453, Oct 22, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Some of you may have been keeping up with my thread on the new coop and run:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20020&p=1

Anyway, last night when I went out to put the girls up, they were all perched on top of their old digs, the ChickNBarn (I'd closed the run so they couldn't get back in there). I had to pick them up off the top of the little run and place them into the new coop.

I was GOING to leave them in there for at least a few days without letting them out so they would get used to knowing where their new home was...but they were so pitiful this morning, and the weather was so pretty that I just had to let them out to forage a while in the chcken yard.

I figured I'd have to collect them off the old coop run again tonight, but when I went out to check on them all 8 were nestled all snug in their new digs. I'm so proud of them - they figured out the 2nd night where their new roosts are all on their own!

At least now they have plenty of room to spread out if they want!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Isnt it amazeing how fast they can learn?? Some learn quicker than others..I have one red rooster who STILL wont go in the coop at night. We have to chase and trick him. DUMB BIRD! I keep saying I am going to leave him out and let the predators just have him. He is as mean as a snake too. But, I just can't....I chase....beg.....trick him back in, every night. Sigh!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That tells you how nice they think the new coop is [​IMG]

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well, of course MY girls are the smartest chickens around... [​IMG]

But, I did notice this morning 'evidence' that they had been roosting in the nest boxes - or at least one or two.

I'm going to block them off with cardboard today - i want them to get in the habit of roosting on the ROOSTs before they get old enough to lay.

5. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    OK, two nights in a row... what smart girls to get used to their new coop so quickly!

I never did get out there yesterday or today yet to block off the nest boxes. I think they are not nesting inside the actual boxes, but roosting by standing on the edge of the box with their tails hanging into the box itself.

Maybe tomorrow... sigh... if work would ease off a bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by