I'm so pumped up

rhoda_bruce

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Cut Off, LA
I could just as easily put this on meatbird section, but anyway I wanted to have some more roosters for meat purposes because I knew I would run out of meat before long, so I put some of my own RIR eggs to incubate, which hatched out on the 17 of Feb. Well a few days ago I pulled out 18 chicks that I knew were roosters and I left the rest in the brooder.....the roos are temporally in the playhouse (my daughters are not very happy about that, but they love the chicks). My plan was to try and sell the pullets to help finance the rooster project. I was hoping that the sale would cancel out all the feed, plus give me more money to continue feeding the roosters. Well about an hour ago a lady from my town came over and bought every single one. I think I will get some almost free chicken meat in a few weeks.
Also I have about 150 chicken eggs and 7 goose eggs in the incubator for an Easter hatch, so if I don't sell all of them I might be able to use some of them for meat birds......hopefully the geese. Yummy.
It doesn't take much to excite me. Maybe its the whole thing....free meat, one less brooder to tend, a place ready when the next hatch occurs. If I would be on my off time, I would celebrate.

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
thumbsup.gif

I'd love it I'd I could just break even. Sounds like you're doing well.

rhoda_bruce

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Cut Off, LA
Quote:
Actually I don't remember. I had breeders (Africans). My mom had way more than me and for holidays she would get my dad to kill 2 of them and I would clean them, because I'm the one most likely to do it and because she was so busy cooking and I didn't mind helping. I can tell you that they grow real fast. So at a very young age there will be a lot more meat than you are used to seeing on a chicken. Anyway I love waterfowl. I don't get enough of them lately. When I was heavy into poultry raising in the late 90s I would eat a duck every week. I had the geese, but they were very productive and Mom incubated the eggs and sold the goslings for me. She did a real mean business with her incubation. I would imagine Dad would slaughter them at about 4 months old. We will eat a goose over a turkey if given the choice.

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
11 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
Good for you!!! I've only ever eaten chicken and turkey. I want to try duck and goose though, but I don't know about preferring it over turkey
wink.png

Top Bottom