I'm so sad. What did I do wrong? (Graphic pic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monkeybrains, Apr 28, 2017.

1. monkeybrains

monkeybrains New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    I had some Silkie eggs that I was incubating in a homemade incubator. I was meticulous with temp and humidity and today is day 24. I opened them because nobody was moving or pipping. I screwed something up and have no idea what I did. I never let it go hotter that 102. I was scared to heat them too much. was that what I did wrong? I'm so sad today. I failed.

[​IMG]

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    Im so sorry!! [​IMG]

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    What was your humidity?

During incubation.

4. monkeybrains

monkeybrains New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    No I dont think so. I kept it between 50-60%. I'm doing research now and I'm wondering if its the thermometor I used. I'm reading some Amazon reviews that seems to be inaccurate. I don't know.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Such a loss is heartbreaking. Sorry things didn't work out. I hope you find out what happened. You can send one of the chicks off for a necropsy if you have an avian vet nearby.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    50 to 60 is too high for incubating. You have to keep in mind that humidity is not a set in stone number. You have to figure out what works for your incubator and conditions. That is why candling and marking your air cells is important. By keeping track of air cell development, you can adjust the humidity accordingly. If the air cell is growing too slowly, you reduce the humidity. If the air cells are growing too large, up raise the humidity.
    Also, with a still air incubator, the temp needs to be between 101 and 102. And you need to move the eggs around to different spots to minimize the effects of cool and warm spots.

7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

were they shipped eggs, yours or local
    what incubator are you using?
    still air or forced?
    did you calibrate?
    by chance are you higher elevation?

8. monkeybrains

monkeybrains New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    Oh no! Too high? Thats what I was told. I did mark my air cells and everything seemed fine. I think to take the guess work out and not have to go through this again, I'll just buy a nice incubator to handle the hard work for me. Would you recommend that? I appreciate your advice!

9. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    oh, and WELCOME TO BYC!!!!!!

[​IMG]

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    you probably dont need a new bator
    was this your first time incubating?