I'm so sad...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunflower, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Why is it so hard? I know it's for the best, but I had to rehome my banty roo, Fireball, yesterday. We all miss him so much.
    Now I wonder if we did the right thing..
    We got Fireball and his brother together, hoping for a couple of hens but got the two boys. They have a girlfriend, Lucky (who is kind of disabled - she limps a lot) and they are "bothering" her all day. The three of them all hang out together and get along really well but I worried about all the "attention" she gets from two roosters.
    We did the right thing, do you guys agree?
    Fireball is our PET and went from a flock of 9 to 50!! Poor little guy!! [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww, its hard to give up any pet. I am sure he wil be fine. Sounds like you did the right thing for your hen. With 2 roos, they might have injured her past the point of recovery.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    you did the right thing.It's never easy giving up a pet.
    I've given away lots of roos, but it's best atleast for the hen's sake in the long run.
    Hang in there, I know exactly what you're going thru. [​IMG]
    Miriam

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    We hatched 4 out for my sons 2nd grade class 6.5 weeks ago....it looks like 2 are roosters!!!! We are considering trading him back to my dh's cousin for a hen..... I am sad, because how do you choose which Roo to go!

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I know how you feel. I have a lady comming over today to take some of my chickens. I have 8 silkie roos and 3 girls. I had giving away 1 boy and 3 girls last time. I love my little roo's. The way I am doing it is putting them all in the yard to free range and let her choose what roo she likes the most.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Been there done that..[​IMG]
    It's for the best, even though it's painful.

7. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Thanks guys!![​IMG] I feel so silly - I am in tears over a chicken.
    We went back and forth too on which one to give up, but the one little roo really loves DH and follows him around like a dog, so we kept him.
    I think the hen, Luckey, is already relieved to just have one to deal with now!
    Thanks again, it helps to have people that understand the chicken-itis that we all seem to have!

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:It's ok! You had to give up a pet... doesn't matter that he's "just" a chicken! He was your pet nonetheless.
    I think you did the right thing for him and your hen. He probably has a huge "following" now!
    [​IMG]

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    she took my two white baby's. I only have one left

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by