I'm so sad....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tallyho, Sep 22, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I have to put down my favorite of favorites hen, Roxie. Her leg is no better and she seems even worse. We think she tore some ligaments in her knee (took her to the vet). I kept her quiet for almost two weeks. I think it's time. What kind of life does she have in a dog box? I put her in the grass so she can feel her last rays of sunshine and then I'll take her to the vet. I can't do it...

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I had to do the same last year, but it was for permanent neurological damage to my most favorite rooster ever.

Blessings and hugs to you and Roxie. Sometimes doing the right thing hurts.

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I know your pain,just lost "Twosome" one of our first incubator hens this morning from some unknown reason. She was doing good last night with no sicknesses whatsoever.

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I'm sorry to hear it! Having to let a pet go is one of the hardest things to do. [​IMG]

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry. That is the hardest part about having any kind of animal. I couldn't do it either.

7. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    How long did the vet think healing would take? Did he give you pain meds for her like Metacam (or maybe you are giving aspirin water?).

JJ (jjthink most of the time)

8. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    The vet said that if it was going to get better it would be within 2 weeks. She was on celebrex. We went longer than 2 weeks and it got even worse.

I took her to the vet and he agreed that there wasn't much else we could do and living like that wasn't much of a life. He gave her an injection and she went peacefully while I petted her.

I thank you guys for understanding. I appreciate your caring words.

She was a special bird. I miss her.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    So sorry for your loss.

10. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    [​IMG] sorry It sounds like she had a wonderful life and she was so lucky to have someone that cared so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by