1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I heard about a fellow Washingtonian who got his/her whole flock wiped out!! all i have is poultry wire in the run.. cant afford much more!!! Whats is a safe electirc poultry fence? how much is it? where do i get it? how does it work? please help!!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Do you have a secure coop you can lock your chickens inside at night? That's when the risk of predation is greatest.

In daytime, the likeliest predators are usually hawks and roaming dogs. Chicken wire over the top of the run will keep out hawks. Can dogs get into your yard?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would say heavier wire doesn't cost any more than some kind of electric fence set-up. But the majority of folks who lose chickens do lose them at night, so be sure to secure your chickens inside a secure housing at night...

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    They will go in at night!!! so im good? no dogs here that i know of.

5. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    Elmo has it right ....I am in western Washington and my chicks go in each night an get locked down in the coop, they can run in the run all day and free range in the evenings when my wife or I are out there....following these kinds of guidleines can greatly increase your flocks safety but in the end only you know what you have to deal with and how much you will or will not risk so though I can state what works for me I can give you no guarantees, only assurances [​IMG]

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i have like 5 acres... i have one area thats electric fenced for the 2 horses.. like 2 acres give or take.. could i let them free range there for an hour or 2 a day?

7. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I also have 5 acres & let them free range all day, then they get on lockdown at night.

Yes, its possible something can happen during the day, but I really cant imagine them just not being able to enjoy themselves on the land like chickens do. It is a personal choice you have to make...

Good luck!

8. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Im the one in Wa. who lost them. I thought they were safe but we had just torn down our safe area to replace it when I was hit. I had lots in lock down and my breeding birds were done for the season so I put them in the field. Thought it was ok because we have 2 fences. 1 goes around 5 Acres and has hotwire top and bottom and the one the birds are in is inside the 5 acres. I should of locked down but felt it was safe. Dont freak out just lock down. I should of closed the hen house door just didnt bother. That was my mistake. I have learned and it is closed now at night.
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

I heard about a fellow Washingtonian who got his/her whole flock wiped out!! all i have is poultry wire in the run.. cant afford much more!!! Whats is a safe electirc poultry fence? how much is it? where do i get it? how does it work? please help!!​

9. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    My Name Is Brandon And What I Did With My Coop Is I Put Thick Fence Wire Besides Chicken Wire And I Went To Dollar General And Got A 2$ Simple Lock........i Dont Trust Chicken Wire Its Made To Keep Chickens In Not Keep Predators Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!maybe Double Layer The Chicken Coop With A Nother Layer Of Chicken Wire That Should Keep Them Out. And Did I Mention That Where I Live We Have Loose Dogs,foxes,raccoons,bobcats And We Also Have Curios Horses Loose Some Times..........hope This Helped.....................

10. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    never thought of that. good idea! Nice to have a new face!
    rooster brandon. :

My Name Is Brandon And What I Did With My Coop Is I Put Thick Fence Wire Besides Chicken Wire And I Went To Dollar General And Got A 2$ Simple Lock........i Dont Trust Chicken Wire Its Made To Keep Chickens In Not Keep Predators Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!maybe Double Layer The Chicken Coop With A Nother Layer Of Chicken Wire That Should Keep Them Out. And Did I Mention That Where I Live We Have Loose Dogs,foxes,raccoons,bobcats And We Also Have Curios Horses Loose Some Times..........hope This Helped.....................​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by