I'm so shocked and sad Please Help Hen is DEAD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by watersoflethe, Dec 13, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Please Help me understand why my hen is dead.
    I'm quite worried that it was some kind of disease or something.
    I had a beautiful easter egger hen named Hemera that was getting to be about one years old soon. she was probably around 8~9 months or so. I had personally hand raised her from a chick and she laid beautiful extra large blue eggs everyday. She had seemed extremely healthy and loved running around with the group of girls. I was leaving the house for a day so i wasn't able to check on them for a full day yesterday. Today morning i went to go check on the girls and she was just lying there in the nesting box DEAD.[​IMG] She was quite cold and hard and ants had started coming so it might've been yesterday that she had died. At first she looked like she was just laying an egg but she was dead. There was even one last egg under her that she was sitting on.
    I have no idea why she died! I didn't check on them for a day but i left enough food and water so there was still food and water left. The other girls were all fine and she was on top of the pecking order as well so they wouldn't have attacked her. I checked her over carefully and she didn't have any wounds or anything wrong with her body that i could see. They live in a fully enclosed coop where nothing even mice can get in. I live in southern california so i doubt it was too cold for them to stand.
    I feel really rattled and shocked. She was my favorite of the group and always loved to come to me when i come out to be petted by me and would sit down next to me to be petted. I'm worried if what she died of is contagious and if its going to affect the rest of my flock. I just lost to my city government about our chickens so i was limited to only 4 hens. so i had picked very carefully and had to rehome most of my flock and i made sure to leave her. Now i'm down one and she was my best layer. I have a leghorn that's of age and refusing to lay and a barred rock that for some reason has the smallest eggs so she was the one that was feeding our family of 7 in terms of eggs. Now i might even need to start buying eggs again! Sigh!
    What i'm worried about is that its contagious? I also have quails but they are raised in a separate enclosure on the other side of the yard. but i did have about 3 quails drop dead with no specific reason that i could find. But that's in the course of over half a year and i figured that quails are weaker and the weather is a bit cold so i didn't worry about those as much. But now that my Hemera has died i'm worried that maybe its something contagious?
    The chickens aren't ever put together with the quails but when they are free ranging sometimes they go towards the quail cage. but the quail cage is lifted up about 3 feet so the most they do is wander around under it.
    could it be she caught something the quails have? is it something infectious?
    Another thing was her vent was sort of red and slightly swollen but could she have died while straining to lay an egg?
    i'm sorry this is getting long but i'm very shocked and sad that i have lost my favorite and best layer. i dont even know what i'm going to do about eggs anymore. I was so happy to have her lay blue eggs because i had always wanted a colorful egg layer cause i never had one before and now i'm so very sad.
    please if you can help me figure out how she died it would give me some peace. i gave her a nice burial in one corner of my garden. it was the only thing i can do after she gave us such good eggs for couple months. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I wish I had an answer for you - maybe someone will have an idea ...
    Sorry about your hen ..... [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] I wish I had an answer for you. I had a Pekin duck die the same way too. [​IMG] Its so sad, especially when you don't even know there is something wrong. [​IMG] Maybe someone will come along with an explanation for you.

4. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG] I'm thinking since she was healthy and behaving normal right before, it must have been something quite natural that was simply unpreventable. Since she just laid her egg, she wouldn't be eggbound... maybe some other kind of serious internal prolapse from strain? Or a heart attack or something... Just like people, chickens can have problems/defects that you just don't know about until it is too late. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't have an explanation either just wanted to say sorry for your loss, but I have read the posts enough to know that sometimes they just die and we never know why, just watch the rest of your girls real close just in case it was something catching.

6. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    I was going to say you should have her autopsied, that way you might know for sure. Then I saw that you had buried her. I am sorry for your loss. Maybe it was a heart condition and that is why there were no symptoms or obvious signs of what had happened. Again, so sorry.

7. bantam0907

bantam0907 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    How was she positioned when she died? Any unusual twisting of the neck and did you notice if one of her legs was facing forward and the other backwards? Those are signs of marecks disease, i just lost a rooster to this, it is heart breaking... I know Personally how to lose one of your babies, i am only allowed to keep two so ihad a white silkie pullet and a cuckoo silkie cockrel, he was my pride and joy. Let me know of any details you remember about her and i will do some research and try to bring some closure... Im so sorry for your loss.

RIP EVAN 11/4/10
    [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] If it helps, I'm sure it wouldn't have made a difference had you been there. It sounds like she was pretty much fine up through laying her egg, so I'd guess some internal issue...maybe heart problems or other organ issues. I'm so sorry...

9. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:well her neck was normal when i found her. it was hanging forward slightly because it was limp but it wasn't twisted backwards or anything. her feet had hardened in a pretty normal position. they were pretty close to each other similar to how they would be positioned when she's lying in a nesting box. she really just looked like she was sitting there from a bit far away. she had no other symptoms and was really healthy. thank you for the help. i'm sorry for your loss as well he was beautiful.

and for everyone thank you very much for the consoling words. i'm sad that i can't even replace her with a EE chick because i can't buy one chick from anywhere and i shouldn't raise only one chick because it'll be lonely.

10. Grey's

Grey's Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    ah so sorry but like someone said, I don't think it would have made any difference if you would have been there. Just one of those things. Sometimes they are good one minute and...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by