I'm SO stupid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bornacentury2L8, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    OK in my excitement to get started in chickens again I built a pretty good incubator and got eggs from a local farmer and got them in as soon as possible. The temp and humidity are perfect and I am excited . so I'm reading everyone else's posts and looking at pics (I loooove pics) and realized that i didn't put a plexiglass window on my bator! [​IMG] So when I hear the chirps and hear the moving, I'll have to peek through the air holes like I do to check temp and Humidity! Man! [​IMG] I can see it now. Me dieing to open and look, but I know better.[​IMG] Maybe I can build another lid and just swap them out real fast? I'm afraid i might rough the eggs up some though..... POOO!!!![​IMG]

2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
  3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If youre useing a disposable cooler type home made I would just buy another one the same size and make a new lid with a window and switch them out it shoudnt hurt the eggs I dont think

4. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    You're not stupid!
    I would wait until the hatch is over before making the modification to your bator.
    But it does sound like it's working well, window or not!
    Good luck on your hatch!
    Carolyn

5. Bornacentury2L8

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Quote:Thanks.

6. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    how far into the incubation are you??

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    What day are you on? Unless you are already on day 18 or beyond it won't hurt a thing to change it out. [​IMG].

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    They have a point I guess , as any variation now could throw off youre temps but Im new to all this so Id go with someone who knows more

9. Bornacentury2L8

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    I'm on day 3. I think I will try it. Thanks:D

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh heck yeah!!!! If you are on day 3, change that sucker!!! LOL If not, you WILL go insane wanting to see them better! I have to open my bator to hand turn 3 times a day up to day 18. You should be just fine! I would just watch the temps really close for a bit afterward. With the window it may not hold the heat quite as well. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by