Im so stupid!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ams3651, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Its going to be about 10 degrees tonight, only in the teens now so I took out a bedtime snack of some warm mashed taters and corn. Went over to collect eggs, Im in a hurry ......and steped right on the cord for the heat lamp and ripped it from the back of the lamp. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Its STILL snowing, probably up to 4 inches but its hard to tell because its drifting, I cant go anywhere to get one and even if i could the nearest is 20 minutes away. [​IMG] Im crossing my fingers every one comes out with out frostbite.

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    [​IMG]
    This sounds like something I would do. Can you rig up an old lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it, just for tonight?

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    A small electric space heater would work for a few nights. Those things suck electricity so wouldn't be great for long term use, but we hung one in the coop before we got a lamp. If ya have one handy..it's worth a shot. Sorry you stepped on it!!

4. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I dont have a spare space heater. The heat bulb didnt break, maybe I can find an old lamp around here somewhere.

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Just be careful that there is some type of wire guard in case the chickens knock it over. Red bulbs are quite the fire risk.

6. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Agreed, in your haste, don't forget to be safe. Secure your light so that you don't start a fire...

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    If it's snowing heavily, it won't get cold enough for them to get frostbite - sounds strange but it's true - what you have to look out for is the clear cold -
    If they're inside and roosting up off the ground when it's 10 degrees, they should be just fine.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Ok i did find an old lamp, I tied it fast as best I could for now....with my 7 year old outside in the snow with no coat because he wont listen to me. I will go out after he goes to sleep and take some wire and secure it.

This is in the center of the coop where they all roost, the heat lamp is attached in the middle about half way down. There are 2 roosts up higher out of the photo. I put the lamp I just found on the floor in the center and attached it to the center. I was still building at this point so there was some stuff on the floor not there now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Keep them shut up in the coop tonight and you can use vaseline for their combs and wattles to prevent frostbite. If they don't have any drafts, they will be fine.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yup, definitely rub some Vaseline into all the combs and wattles. It will help to protect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by