I'm so upset.... accidently mixed eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hannakat, Jan 28, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Overcoming many problems, I finally got chickens last spring. By the time they were old enough to start laying we had 3 hens (originally had 5). I saved their 'first' egg....a friend was going to blow them out for me and I was going to make a little display....nevermind.....I already know I'm goofy.

So, I had them sitting in a half carton in the back of the fridge for the past however long.... they are easier to blow out when they are old.

Somehow and at some point I combined them with the others [​IMG] and just discovered it. I remember going through the fridge a while back... and don't know what I was thinking but I must have been in another world not to have remembered why those eggs were by themselves.

I am heartsick. Why didn't I mark them or something????? It's so silly but I really wanted my girl's first eggs. So, I am going around the house today, crying, and thought it might help to come to BYC to express my grief. Yea, I feel like something died. [​IMG]:hit:hit I am so mad at myself.

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Even though you won't have her first egg, grab another one now. You will still have one of her eggs and think of her everytime you see it. You can still tell stories about her and how you mixed up her first egg. Don't beat yourself up, there is nothing you can do. Smile and go grab another!

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you could do something different. Try filling a bowl with your eggs and taking pictures. Have the best pic(s) prints at the photo shop (Walgreens or such) and mount it in a frame. You may even end up with one of the originals in the shot.

On second thought, maybe you could float test all the eggs and recover the six that are older than the rest.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    It's ok...it doesn't matter if it's her first or not. Most "firsts" are bad anyway and un-salvagable. (is that a word?) Do it to another egg.

I wanted to keep my eggs separate and ended up eating it anyway and that's what you're supposed to do with her eggs...eat them.

Don't beat yourself up. [​IMG]

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Thank you for understanding! I'm going to take some pictures...not exactly what I wanted but it will make a wonderful memory of them! Still working at not being mad at myself. [​IMG]

6. lone oak

lone oak Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    if you havent already ate the eggs then do a float test and maybe you can tell the older ones from the newer ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by