Im so UPSET, I lost a chicken today :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BigIslandChicks, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    So the island in hawaii that i live on has lots of feral chickens and so there has been this mama hen that is so sosooso beautiful that roams around where my husband works. well a few months ago she was gone awhile and then reappeared with 6 chicks. 5 of them turned out to look just like her and i have been whining that i want one. well this morning i dropped DH off at work and went to get gas and he calls me and says to come back because he caught me a chicken. and when i got there it was one of the chicks - probably about 3 months old but small and i was so HAPPY!! he put her in a box for me and i got home and went to put her in an empty pen and she ESCAPED!!!! im clumsy and could not catch her and she went over the fence into the neighbors yard and is GONE!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i really just want to cry [​IMG] i will probably never catch her again if she even comes back into my yard. im so sad and mad and [​IMG] I just needed to vent before i blow a gasket!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Aw too bad. Those feral chickens are clever I bet, and even those chicks can run really fast.

3. sinistershelly

sinistershelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Im sorry [​IMG]
    I shall share your sadness and frustration because today, my STOOPID dog decided to dig into the run and killed 5 of my babys.
    My kids cried and I screamed at the dog and OMG!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have one lil baby left and he is now inside, in a box in my room crying 'cause he is all alone. I put a stuffed pooh bear in the box with him, it actually worked. He stopped crying and is sleeping in its lap right now. It's so cute and sad and I HATE THIS DOG!!!!!! I should have known better. I knew the babys wern't ready to be out yet but I wanted them to start getting used to my older ones, so I had them together but separated by fence. Took the dog maybe all of 5 minutes while I wasn't looking to dig that hole and kill them. Im so done with dogs. This always happens to me. Not the chicken killing I mean. Just not having good luck with dogs that are given to me. No more dogs for me, chickens only from now on. Poor lil babys [​IMG]

4. Woodschick

Woodschick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Sorry for your loss.

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I am sorry.. [​IMG]

6. BigIslandChicks

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:OMGoodness im so sorry for you [​IMG] - and i know how you feel a few months ago we moved to this place and i moved my babies over here before we were actually staying and the first night a cat or something got bot my orpington chicks - they were both supposed to be buff but one was a LAVENDER and i cried for days!! [​IMG] i think they were too little to be out already too but i needed them out of the house - your day is way worse than mine - mine arent killed just ran off - glad one made it - sounds soo cute sleeping on the pooh!

UPDATE *** my pretty little wild pullet is in the yard!!!! just went out to let the birds out and she is scratching around under the huge tangerine tree! what to dooooooo! [​IMG] if i try to get her again and she runs away what if she doesnt come back - im freaking out!! maybe i should wait till dark and see if she roost in the little tree under the tange tree??? i don t know what to do!!

btw: thanks all for your support [​IMG]

7. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    That is some sad stuff! [​IMG]

8. BigIslandChicks

Nov 10, 2010
    im gonna go back out and see whats shes up to - its 6pm here now so soon it will be chick E bed time!! im thinking getting her after dark is my best bet! what do yall think?? ......[​IMG]

9. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I don't know, but I'm glad she came back! I'd maybe try throwing some scratch out for her. Will she be safe in your yard over night? Good luck!![​IMG]

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    Sit outside and watch her, figure out where she is going to go to sleep at, and then AFTER she is roosting and settled down sneak up on her and catch her. After you catch her you can either put her in a quarantine cage or in the coop with your existing chickens. (I always quarantine any new ones of mine). Hope this helps you get her!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by