I'm somewhat desperate...

chicken widower

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
In a nutshell: My wife lives on this site. I'm currently laid-up for five weeks due to recent surgery and I can't drive. I bought her two things for Christmas online, but I'd like to get her more than that, as two things under the tree doesn't amount to a whole lot. As it is, it looks like her stocking will be completely empty, since I usually drive around to local shops to find interesting trinkets that will fit in the stocking. I was looking for any ideas I can still order online at this late time. I was thinking maybe some books on chickens. She's still somewhat of a newbie (I think she joined this site back around April of this year, although we've had chickens for about two years now). Perhaps I could get a soft cover and roll it up to put in the stocking, although that is still a little lame, but better than nothing.

I don't think I need to worry about her reading this and recognizing who it's from/about since she always used our laptop to log in, and that went up in smoke the day after Thanksgiving. She won't use my computer unless absolutely neccessary, and she's too busy going into Christmas now anyway to surf chicken sites.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, books or otherwise! I'll be checking back often.

Thank you.

Chicken Widower

You can try Powell's Books online.
Or many people here make gifty things. There is a thread under this one where you can get ideas, as well as o thread in the Buy Sell Trade area.

Tomorrow afternoon, the BYC Store will reopen and you can choose things there as well.

Good luck!

i asked for gardening with guineas by jeanette ferguson. it is a well repsected book. if she likes guineas as well as chickens.

also, i get a bi-monthly publication called backyard poultry. it is a wonderful magazine that i read cover to cover more than once and carry around with me to look at on lunch break. you can go to their website www.backyardpoultrymag.com and order all kinds of goodies. bet they could get the current issue to you before the big day.

good luck

If she's nuts for chickens, try Shopthecoop.com or eggcartons.com for chicken related gifts. They have nice stuff from the practical to the silly. Mypetchicken.com has a pretty good online store too. Good luck! may I also add what a sweetheart you are to indulge her and make her happy! You're a keeper!
love.gif

first ur a good person to think of somebody else when ur laid up. i hope u get well soon. i bought the softback book of storyes guide to backyard poultry its a nice book.go to www.half.com its a part of ebay ya can buy used and new books at lower prices than usualy listed.good luck bud hope ya get well soon and have a very merry christmas............johnny

Amazon has a wonderful selection of poultry books for GREAT prices! I love "Enslaved by Ducks" and "Extraordinary chickens". There are a bunch of others too. They usually ship things out real fast!

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas. I have to hit the sack now, but I'll be online tomorrow exploring all of your kindly suggestions. I figure if I order any goodies tomorrow, hopefully they'll ship Monday.

CW

does she have an incubator? has she been talking about a breed she does not have why don't you see about setting up a gift certificate for a dozen hatching eggs from someone on here?

Hello,
I would definately recommend that you get your wife some soaps from Southern28chick, theres a good chance that your wife knows of these legendary soaps from being here.
Southern chick is one of our favourite BYC daughters and the soaps would fit perfectly in the stocking.
Your wife would be thrilled when she saw them and she would say " i have heard of these soaps at BYC"

Heres a link to her shop.
www.southern-essence.com HOLIDAY SALE ON NOW!!!!

and heres a link to some info and feedback on the soaps:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23163&p=1

Plus BYC has tshirts that can be ordered, though probably too late to order for xmas, but you never know!!
You are a lovely man to be so thoughtful, I hope you get better and back on your feet real soon.
Cheers and Happy Christmas.
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom