I'm SOO MAD! Hit and run w/car

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Jun 17, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just HAD to vent!!! SO ticked! I go to the book store and what do I see when I come out????

[​IMG]

Some illresponsible *beep beep beep* had put a huge dent in the car starting at the corner of my back bumper all the way along the rear quarter panel all the way to the wheel well!!!!

NO note NOTHING!!!!

This car is my TOY!! It's my expensive toy!!!!! And some *beep* decided to run into it and just leave!!!! I should have just stayed home and washed it rather than gong to some *beep* place in Everett. Just explains why I avoid the area!!!

Got a police report for the incident and cop was nice. It's going to be a few thousand to fix, not to mention the paint to fix on the thing. I'm glad they missed my light, that is like 800 alone, or like 300 used. GRRR!!!!!!!

Now to do some deep breathing....

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Wow..so sorry that happened. Someone did that to me recently, too. Only they hit my door with theirs. Not some little ding, either. This is like a 2ft long (up and down) dent in my door. Same thing..no note..no nothing. What it really is is NO RESPECT for others or their property. It's okay though, bad juju is going to come 'round and bite them in the butt.

3. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    silkie that sucks! Will your insurance pick up the costs?

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I'm sorry that happened to your car, Silkiechicken. [​IMG]

2 weeks ago, someone ran off the road, came across the entire width of my front yard, ran over my new shrubs, smashed a very large flower pot and t-boned my parked Jeep. The impact moved my car over to the other side of the driveway. Up until then, my car had no dings or big scratches--not bad for a '94 model. I special ordered this car, waited 2 months for it--this baby was fully loaded, even the upholstery was customized. [​IMG]

The driver didn't have insurance or a job or even a full set of brakes! I'm sure he was speeding but the accident report didn't mention it. He was ticketed for being uninsured and failing to control his vehicle.

The insurance adjuster offered $1000 less than the Blue Book value and said the property damage would have to be handled by homeowner's insurance. Another adjuster, another deductible even though it's through the same insurance company. DH refused the check and called our agent and complained. See, we have 10 commercial vehicles, my vehicle and our house covered through the same company and if DH isn't happy, he will find somebody else to insure us.

Finally, the agent made the adjuster waive the deductible for the car insurance and pay what my husband agreed to settle for. However, I have to replace the shrubs, otherwise it goes against our homeowners and the rate will be affected. Can you believe that?

Now this is long-winded and it IS chicken-related....a couple of my chickens like to escape the fenced-in backyard and stay out front. I was raised to be hospitable and it was a hot day when the driver hit my car. I even offered some water for the man to give his dog and told him he could tie the dog to a tree. I made it clear that the dog needed to be restrained because of the chickens. The man said, "Ol Blue won't hurt 'nuthin" and I replied, "my chickens don't know Ol Blue and I really want you to restrain him."

I didn't rant, cuss, or cry the whole time and I make one little request to someone who just plowed into my car--make sure the dog doesn't get my chickens.

I ended up buying a 2007 Ford Explorer SportTrac. It had enough room in the short bed for straw, chicken feed or new bushes. New car payments, ouch!
    Stephanie

5. silkiechicken

That's terrible. There's too many non insured drivers out on the road. At least you got a new car out of it. I guess My dad will call the insurance company tomorrow morning to figure out what to do. I don't know if you can call them on the weekend. Sadly they need to raise that uninsured motorists fine to something over 600 bucks because it costs more to insure cars than that. The uninsured motorists ticket should be four times the cost of what the owners would have to pay for one year of premium insurance on the car they were driving to really get the message home that insurance is a GOOD thing!!!!

6. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    speaking from someone thats in auto body, if the insurance does not cover the cost of the nasty dent, you can find the paintless dent repair, but you would still have that nasty hook in the middle of that dent. if you wanna fix it your self i can drop you a line to tell you how to fix it! red..the most expensive paint there is...check the alignment on your trunk.

if you have full coverage they will cover it, but you will have to pay the nasty deductible!!(depending on who you have)

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Silkie--I wouldn't wait until Monday to call the insurance co. And if you feel the adjuster tries to lowball the amount to fix your car contact your agent. It's supposed to be illegal in TN to drive without insurance, but it seems only the ones involved in accidents are caught.

Jezebelle
    --regarding auto paint, what are the most durable colors? My past 3 cars have been white or navy blue, but my very first car was silver and I don't think that color holds up as well.
    Stephanie

8. Jezebelle

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    hencackle

to get a paint thats gonna last is gonna cost a pretty penny. You can get a clear coat paint that has UV protection in it, so its basically like putting sunscreen on your car. Mostly it depends on what kind of paint either the factory put on it, or the type of paint put on if it was repainted. The silver most likely died out because of the pearl/kandy in it faded out. If you can cover your car, that would help save the color alot better!! Darker colors will fade faster, its kind of like in kinder garden and you put a piece of construction paper in the window with some shape taped to it. After a few weeks you pull the shape off and the paper that was exposed to the sun faded. You can take a buffer and compound to it to help revive some of the lost color. BUT be careful on the edges on the car, as too much buffing will buff the clear/paint right off the car. They have the light weight wennie buffers that weigh less then 5 lbs for wennie people like me!

Some other things that are bad for your paint are...birdie doodoo, which alot of us have!! sun and sap from trees, and salty air, like that from beach!! ALWAYS wash your car when you get back from a beach trip or when they salt the roads before a snow storm. and NEVER use dish soap on your car, it kills your clear coat. Get the cleaner they have, now at wall mart or any auto store.

they also have a "self healing" paint thats out on the market. after it is scratch it "grows" back and covers the scratch. but it only works on minor scratches.

9. silkiechicken

Thanks for all that advice, I know red is expensive, but that's the nature of this car in general. [​IMG] I don't know if I want to do it myself because I want it back to normal. I have comprehensive insurance and I think the deductible is only 500 bucks or so. The alignment on the trunk is fine. The side just got pushed in about 2 inches. I can see the inside of the dent when I open up the lining of my trunk and luckily it didn't smash into my antenna mast and motor. So I think its going to be a hammer out and push job for them til they get it rounded up again.

My dad says the insurance place is closed today and so he will call when they open up on monday morning to talk to our agent. Hope it works out well. I want it fixed! My dad says we'll find a good place to get it done, go there let them fix it, and they will give us the bill for the amount that the insurance doesn't cover. Maybe if it doesn't cost too much I'll have them touch up a paint chip on the front. I got a langia kit blob remover to fix that but didn't do it yet because its been raining. Go figure.

And man, bird doo. In my tiny trunk I carry a full car cover, snow chains just in case, a roll of shop towls, a cotton towl, a microfiber towl and meguires instant detail to take care of any little accidents on the road. If I go to Oregon I pack up by car cleaning bucket and bug remover as I can't ever leave a dead bug on the front! I have a decent collection of car cleaning and care stuff. I wish my car was cleaner before the accident. I don't want to wash it now that it is damaged. I am going to do an oil change later today though. Maybe that would make her feel better.

I think a good paint job up here costs about 3-4k for garnet pearl red. Paint code is lexus/toyota 3k3.

10. Jezebelle

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    wow you sound like me with what you carry. yea lexus....big $$$$ if you can get to it from the inside you could knock it out....i couldnt tell the paint cost for it, its different depending on where you go and the brand name. careful where you take it, the nasty places like macco and peaches, their paint jobs are designed to last about a year before comming off. I would get the dealer to fix it if the insurance covers it. OR you can get it painted and fixed at a college that has the autobody program. They only charge for materials needed to fix and paint.

see if the store had a camera in the parking lot, maybe they have a pic of the car that hit you, and the plate number?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by