IM soooooo New at this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cackel, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I have a chicken setting on her nest ,She should start hatching about Dec.4 .My question is ,the nest is pretty high off the ground so how will she get the babies out of the nest and back in the nest at night ?

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    I think the babies will stay in the nest for the first few days but after that you want to move the chicks to a brooder for a couple of weeks. If you plan to leave the chicks with the hen, move her into a nest in a completely different pen with a nest almost on the ground. This is just what I would do.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I agree older chickens are very meticulous about the whole pecking order. If you leave them they will probably get pecked to death. Also a baby chick will be curious and possibly could fall from a height. I have had them drown before because of thier curiosity.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You should move mama hen and babies to a lower nesting box on the ground !! Mama hen will protect the babies from the rest of the flock, No need to take them away unless she cant protect them !! Keep an eye on them just to make sure the babies are ok with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by