1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im sorry ask this subject again, but I really need some help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Muscovy Man, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Muscovy Man

Muscovy Man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Paonia, CO
    So, I have six Muscovy Ducks (three males, three females) and all of them have lost their waterproofing in their feathers [​IMG]. After they go take a bath, they come out soaking wet and they spend an hour drying off. Is their oil gland messed up? Or is there something I can give them, so their waterproofing can come back?

P.S. When do Muscovy Ducks molt?

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I know nothing! But I do seem to remember a recent post indicating that muscovys tend to get this way but are 'okay' - so hopefully someone 'in the know' will post something soon.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i've heard that muscovies water proofing is different from a normal duck and that they can become waterlogged much easier. Not sure about the molting though... I'd give their oil glands a look over make sure they are not gross, yellow or pussy looking to be safe. If nothing looks wrong, it probably has more to do with the lack of water proofing know to the breed.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    My muscovies come out of the bath looking drenched too. Seems normal to me.

As far as molting, 2 of my adults have already molted, one has not. The young ones haven't actually molted, but they have replaced their baby feathers as they grew. I know that probably isn't very helpful. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they molt on their own schedule.

I'm looking forward to the final adult's molt, so she will be as pretty as everyone else. [​IMG]

5. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Your birds should have at least begun to molt if you're in the 'fall' season. Yes, Muscovy feathers get really ragged towards the end of summer. Some colors get sun bleached extremely bad, such as chocolate. This is where a good quality diet plays an important part in feather development. Also, if birds are kept in muddy conditions w/out clean water to bathe I think it creates a situation where feathers tend to stay pretty nasty. The meat buyer has a muddy rivulet of water that runs through his bird pens and his ducks never really do get clean. My birds, although in a 'dirt' pen, rarely are dirty because they have clean water to bathe in. Some unthrifty birds just might never look good, so you also have to consider if you have other problems going on like worms and such.

6. ChickenSylvia

ChickenSylvia New Egg

Nov 14, 2009
    Pike County
    I'm not sure, but I wish I remember a board about that. Good luck finding info! [​IMG]

7. MDC

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Thought I should clarify my statement in the post above, that it is at this time, during the molt, when a good quality feed is needed for feather development.

8. Muscovy Man

Muscovy Man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Paonia, CO
    What kind of feed should I be giving them [​IMG]? In the past, I have used various kinds from just grain to poultry crumbles and they eat it three times a day (Mourning, Afternoon and at Night). Because they free range during they day and they seem to enjoy nature's bounty of vegetable matter rather then the grain. Also need help finding a place that has some cheap duck egg cartons and oyster shell for my laying hens.

9. MDC

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    I typically leave out enough feed that'll last until dark, I do not leave feed out overnight if I can avoid it because it invites vermin. I do this whether my birds are free ranging or penned in breed pens. My ration is a grain based ration using wheat, corn, milo, oats, BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), and a meat-based poultry premix. Muscovy tend to 'need' animal protein more than a regular mallard deriv. I'm fortunate enough to live in the middle of 'grain country' so I can get grain relatively easily and I have a feedmill who works with me exceptionally well.

The BOSS is a great addition for feather quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by