I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoORchick73, Aug 15, 2014.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    I've been purchasing eggs from a friend who has hens and a rooster, while waiting for my flock of 24 pullets (and 1 roo) to start laying, which they have as of two weeks ago, yay. I went to make scrambled eggs today using some of her eggs and there was a deformed embryo with feathers and all in there and it stunk BAD (from fridge). She says she collects them daily and they go right to the fridge. I wanted to keep my Roo to protect the girls, but I DO NOT want this happening. I almost threw up! Not sure when I'll be able to eat scrambled eggs again. lol. Is it true that if you collect them every am and refrigerate them this can't happen? How could it have? The feathers/wings were over an inch and a half long. Ugh. If this is the case I'm rehomimg my Roo immediately to a coworker who wants him. Sorry for the gross pic! I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Love my too but can't deal with this ever happening again esp I plan on selling some of the eggs. [​IMG]

2. SoORchick73

May 9, 2011
    come to think of it, a friend mentioned the feathers don't develop that early, so what WAS that?!

3. SoORchick73

May 9, 2011
    Anyone?

4. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Oh god, that's so terrifying! I am so sorry this happened to you. Unless someone was sitting on the eggs, it's impossible for something like this to happen. My mom's friend had chickens and didn't realize that one of them had a secret nest and had been sitting. Anyway, she collected the eggs and sold them to her neighbor...long story short, she got a call from her neighbor about finding a nineteen day gestation chick inside one of the eggs (which she said was fine, she found it funny because it's a delicacy in some countries) but I guess you can never be too careful.

1 person likes this.
  5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I second that as that was my first thought...that the hen had the egg hidden somewhere...sorry for you and your stomach [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by