I'm sorry, I'll never take the egg till you leave the coop....geez!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We have 3 laying boxes and currently, 10 laying hens. They tend to get a little noisy when one wants to lay and someone is in their favorite box. Or...any box, for that matter. Anyway, I'm currently keeping a spreadsheet to see who is and isn't laying, and when. So I'm out there often checking for eggs. A few times in the past I've gone out at hearing the egg song, and took the egg. Yesterday, Opal, my Golden Comet was half in, half out of the laying box when I opened lid to check for eggs. I reached in and grabbed the egg, and freaked! She turned on a dime in a split second and dove for my hand!!!

Lesson learned. They've always seemed to not really care once the duty was done. This one, however, seems to be a little touchy about the big fat human taking her eggs [​IMG]

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I've wondered about this. My BOs, in particular, like to set a bit on their eggs. I actually caught an egg (actually CAUGHT it, as it was coming out of her) from one of my BRs yesterday, but I made sure to show it to her before I took it away, so she wouldn't think I was trying to gaslight her...

Heyyyyy...I coulda SWORN i just laid an egg....

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    HAHA! I bet you'll wait in the future for her to exit the box. [​IMG]

I got a scare today when I opened my nestbox - the rooster was apparently inside the coop and as soon as I opened the box to check for eggs he decided to jump up and check out why the door was open! I slammed the door shut - I don't think there were any new eggs in there anyway. I figured I'd check tomorrow - when it's safer. [​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    My Australorp growls at me if I try to take the egg before she's out of the nest box. She really likes to admire her work. [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:Oh that's funny! [​IMG]
    Sometimes I'll reach in and take the egg from under them. As they get older, egg-laying usually knocks the wind outta them, so they don't respond straight away. [​IMG]

Although it's pretty cute to watch them rolling the eggs around [​IMG]

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My silkies don't care. [​IMG]

8. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Maybe the silkies just can't see very well. [​IMG]

9. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    I have one br girl that will move the egg around to keep me from picking it up or hold on to it with one foot. [​IMG]

10. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:Oh, this is just too funny. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by