I'm Sorry Mom!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Mar 10, 2015.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Quite a few of you know about my love - hate relationship I have with our guineas. We free range about 70 guineas and around 40 peafowl. When those **** goonie birds start picking on my peas I get out the B-B gun and try to turn the offending guinea around and leave the pea alone. One of my first free ranging peas was run off from being picked on by guineas, a couple guineas ended up in the crock pot because of it. Now, when I shoot them I don't pump up the pressure in the gun, I give it one or two pumps, just enough to get the birds attention without hurting it, much.

Yesterday we were working outside and we observed one of the peacocks was being harassed by a small flock of guineas, but I didn't do anything as we were busy at the time burning some brush piles and we had to stay with the fire. When we were done we came back to the yard, DW went inside the house for a bit and I went out to start feeding. I was walking to the shed when I came across a dead guinea, [​IMG] DW came out and I got an earfull about killing her guinea. [​IMG] "I did not kill your guinea, dear." So we inspect the carcase and noted that it had a broken neck. That is when Big Daddy comes up to us and stands right in front of DW and gives these three sounds I have never heard a peafowl make before, perhaps it was come kind of distress call like a long note that sounded like Haaaaww.

It was so cute! It was like he was a little kid that was trying to explain to his mom how it wasn't his fault. "I'm sorry Mom, but he wouldn't leave me alone!"

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Here are just some ideas and thoughts. Angry fowl = Tasty Fowl. Pump that pellet rifle 15 minimum. Guineas have a small brain and trying to teach them manners will be next to impossible. Their attention span is SHORT. Increase the pumping to 20. [​IMG]

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    That's a great story, Kskingbee!

I only have 2 remaining old geezer guineas but they still drive Petey nuts. I bought my white last year but they don't pick on him like poor Pete. The other day he just gave up and submitted, then they didn't know what to do! :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    soery double post

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. OkieQueenBee

OkieQueenBee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    Marion, Kansas
    Big Daddy came up to me again today still trying to explain what happened to my poor guinea.
    [​IMG]

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    It really does look like he is talking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by