I'm sort of new to raising chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nell the novice, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Nell the novice

Nell the novice New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado Mountains
    I'm an 80 yr old country gal who used to have chickens then moved to where we couldn't have them for 18 years. When we retired to the home ranch I started begging for chicken again. Finally bought a coop, built a yard (can't free range because of the many predators)and got my chickens. Always before I've bought laying hens, usually 2 years old. This time I went for pullets, about 8 to 10 weeks old. I asked the gal I bought them from how to feed. She had hers with older hens and said just feed them lay mash, that's what I'm doing. Dumb me, I took her advice and fed them lay pellets, green grass as we weeded the garden, and some corn and other grains (rolled) left from our cattle. It did't help that we had a month of 90 to 100 degree days. Anyhow here they are 21 to 23 weeks old, only a few and showing signs of maturing and no one is laying. I have 12, 1 cookoo (spelling) Moran, 1 Welsummer, a silver lace and a golden lace Wyandot and the rest are mostly Rhode Islands although she thought some might have a little Wyandot in them. I know I've fed them wrong and I'd like to know if I can correct my errors, if they'll survive my stupidity and ever start to lay?

from Nellthe Novice

2. Sure they will. You can feed em chick starter/grower until they begin laying. Many pullets have been fed lay pellets or mash and have come out just fine. It would be best to give em all the protein they want to encourage them to develop all the way.

Wish you success and a long life.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you aren't stupid you were given poor advice.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. biondika

biondika New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Is it the food they eat what's makess them lay eggs?

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by