I'm starting to think Frannie is a Frank...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Showell, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Showell

Showell New Egg

May 30, 2013
    I am so thankful for this website, I am newbie at both forums and chickens. I have four 19 week olds (2 barred rock, 1 EE and 1...um beautiful black one) that we got at 7 weeks old. I also have two Speckled Sussex that we raised from chicks that are 11 weeks old. I was hoping to get some advise from the experts. We have started thinking our one Sussex "Frannie" might be a "Frank" instead. They are both such sweet birds. Docile, friendly and social. I have had a hard time integrating them with the older ones, so until they are bigger I am keeping them in separate coops. (When I free range them all together, the two SS avoid the others for fear of the EE.) Oh well.

My biggest concern is the SS gender. What do you think?

I also would love to hear what you think the breed is of the black one (pullet right?). My BR's are squatting finally, so I am hoping for eggs any day from the older ones too!

Thanks BYC for your help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, you have a sussex pair. Frank is very handsome.

3. erinnoie

erinnoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Cudahy, WI
    I am far from experienced with chickens, but I think the SS pair are boy/girl. Different comb/wattle/tail feathers.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Frank. And I think your black hen is an Australorp. I can't see the Easter egger's comb well in the pic, but the barred and Aussie girls sure look like eggs should be quite soon!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you have one male and one female Sussex! All of your other birds look like hens.[​IMG]

6. Showell

Showell New Egg

May 30, 2013
    Thanks everyone! I just hope he can be a quiet little roo. Where I live I could keep him, the city doesn't have a problem, it's the hubby that won't put up with it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by