1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

im starting to worry about my chickie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by judocat, Mar 31, 2012.

1. judocat

judocat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    well about a month ago i bought three baby chicks a barred rock laya a rhode island red lucy and a gold laced wyandotte jane. and now a month later jane is much much smaller and i wouldnt be so worried if she had the same amount of feathers as the others but she has hardly any. but the weird thing is she is smarter than the other two lol. this is only my second set of babies... someone else raised our first set so any advice would be helpful thanks [​IMG]

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Different breeds and sometimes differing sexes feather out at varying rates of development. Is there any possibility that she is a bantam. If she appears to be otherwise healthy, you have little to worry about.

3. judocat

Mar 31, 2012
    i think she is just a bantam..... she looks really unhealthy and she does not like being held very much and i dont know why because i probly handle her the most. but anyways thanks its always nice to have a more expeirenced persons advice

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Wyandottes are more stand-offish naturally. Post a pic?

5. judocat

Mar 31, 2012
    cant post a pic sorry my laptop sucks and wont read any usb but she isnt really "standoffish she likes ppl just not to be held and she looks really homely

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by