I'm still shocked !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swtangel321, Dec 17, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Ive had laying hens for a while now so I never really got excited about eggs since when I first got them they were all ready laying.

Back during the summer hubby told me to order some chicks (think he got sick of my looking in the bator going "ohhh look") At that point he was kind of into the chicken thing (just a tad interested)
    Anyway, I ordered 20 BR's and 4 EE's, a few got killed along the way (BAD DOG) but I still ended with 3 EE's and a bunch of BR's.

Today hubby comes in and says "I think the babies are laying" I said ohhhh why would you think that ? He pulled me out 2 nice sized GREEN eggs 1 cute little dark brown one and about 8 - 10 others that my older girls are giving right now, WOW !!!! 18 - 20 weeks old laying all ready !!! Even in the winter, I'm shocked !!!!!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Lucky you! Congrats on the eggs.

I've got 3 moochers who are 6-7 months old. [​IMG]

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on the first eggs!
    Gotta love those pretty hens! [​IMG]

bigzio

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:My last group of girls waited that long, I feel for yah !!

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Oh happy day Congrats..

6. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hooray!!! [​IMG] I have a 28 wk old Ameraucana and still am waiting to see that first green egg. That's great that yours are laying now! [​IMG]

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:WOW, 28 weeks.... You must be going nuts !!

9. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    My 'youngsters' are about 6 1/2 months. They have been laying for a while now. We are up to 5 or 6 eggs a day from 11 hens.
    I am not exactly sure who is laying what, but I believe the Andalusians were the first to lay out of our various Mediterranean breeds. We are now getting a variety of shapes and colors of white and slightly tinted medium eggs.

I sold most of my Andalusians to a friend's BF when they were 3 months old. They took 5 hens and one rooster. They are not laying yet! They are in a coop with some guineas. She says they all get along and seem happy, but haven't laid one egg yet. She teases that I sold her duds. [​IMG]

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Wonder what makes the difference in your coop and hers ??

Thats funny that she teases about you selling her duds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by