I'm still waiting for eggs can't find answers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by triumphman, Dec 11, 2011.

1. triumphman

triumphman New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    I bought 6 chicks from TSC the week before Easter and still no eggs. I'm guessing they have some illness. There are no apperant signs to let me know the problem. Poop looks normal no worms,blood or anythung like that. They have plenty of vigor good color. There are no snotty beaks no respitory sounds. There are no buggs on them they run free 70% of the time. I have 5 acres of woods. I let them free range and I feed them layer ration and table scraps. When it was still warm I gave them some vitamins in their water, reccomended by the people of TSC What could it be? I might even get some professsional help maybe. I would like to continue to raise chickens. I would butcher if I knew it was safe. The only type of medicine at TSC was for respitory illness. So I didn't even bother. Any advice would be a great help. My wife isn't interested in helping care for the freeloader chickens any more. I've seached the site a couple of time and only find the usuall stuff.[​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    They can still lay. It's winter, and they may wait until spring. What breed are they? Some chicken breeds lay later than others. If they are something like EE or Buff Orpingtons that's normal.

3. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    Patience. Usually they start laying around 6 months depending on the breed. This year my new flock of chickens started at 7 months or so. They sound healthy....if they molted...it sets them back. Winter sets them back. If you really want eggs...put a light in the coop and leave it on.

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    It is normal for a chicken to wait to lay untill warmer weather. I have one that was hatched in easter and started laying in febuary at 10 months old, the rest started AFTER that. It might also be possible that they have a hidden nest(s) around in the woods. try keeping them locked up for a week and see if you get anything

5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

where are you at ? you did get pullets right ? are they laying when they are out ?

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:There's your answer right there. They are laying - in hidden nests in those 5 acres of woods. Best thing you can do is confine them for a few weeks so they have no choice but to lay in nest boxes in the coop.

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:There's your answer right there. They are laying - in hidden nests in those 5 acres of woods. Best thing you can do is confine them for a few weeks so they have no choice but to lay in nest boxes in the coop.

Yup. Chickens have no natural intinct to use the nesting boxes...

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland

Yup. Chickens have no natural intinct to use the nesting boxes...

That is my thought, too.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yep. Either they are laying out in the woods OR not laying yet. My orps have taken anywhere from 7 to 9 months to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by