1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm stressed...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickerdoodle13, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The past few weeks have been extremely stressful for me here at college. It seems like I've had test after test and assignments up the wazoo. I'm doing ok in most of my classes, but what really has me stressed out are the group projects I've had to do.

In my business ethics course, I'm in a group with four guys and we have to do four presentations. We've done two and the only one we got an A on was the project I managed. Each of us has to manage one project. I hate group projects to begin with because I ALWAYS get stuck with the bulk of work because apparently I'm always the only one who wants an A. In the beginning of the semester, the whole group traded contact info. Constantly, throughout the entire semester, I've had group members texting me for email addresses or phone numbers. I've dealt with the irresponsibility ok, but now it's really starting to bother me. In addition to the requests for phone numbers, I feel like no one even bothers to write down what parts they are in charge of. Why does it seem like I am the ONLY one who is organized? I really, really hate group projects. Always seems like those who want the good grade gets punished and those who don't care end up with a good grade anyways.

I didn't get to choose my group, but I ended up in a group with two friends. They have by far been the worst of the four to work with. They don't get anything done on time, and their work has been completely half-butt (for lack of a better word).

These past days I've just become really, really tired of people. Lately it feels as though I can't trust anyone and even when I try to, I get let down. I'm so ready for the end of the semester. I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't been home (at least to just relax) since the middle of September. I just really can't wait for Thanksgiving break!

Thanks for reading my frustrated vent. I'm just tired of the same old lies, from the same old predictable people. And honestly, the immaturity level here at college has me banging my head against a wall most of the time! It's just one of them months [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sounds like your are a team leader while the others are team bleeders. I'd be frustrated, too.

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I'm sorry to hear that. What a bummer. But, you could look at it like this, (having been in the 'real world' of biz for a long time) These people are really getting you ready for the real world. I mean, more than likely, you will work somewhere that all types of other people work (group projects, team work, etc) and you will, no doubt, be dealing with the same kinds of people. In fact, one of those slacker, credit stealing people could end up your boss. Sucks, I know. You sound like you are handling the situation well. I know how truly frustrated you must feel right now, and its 100% unfair you are getting stuck with the heaviest load. Just keep your head up, enjoy any breaks you get, and just try to remember, YOU will be the most succesful person in the end for having learned the skills needed to achieve high goals despite laggers draggin you down.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys. TheOneChick, I like the team leader rhyme. Funny, but that's exactly what they are!

Right after I wrote this, one person sent me a message asking for the topic he's supposed to research. Then the team "manager" texted me asking for two other team members' numbers or if I could remind them myself to send the project. I'm at my wits end here! GAH! [​IMG]

You think if I just ignore everyone they'll eventually go away? Lately all I feel like doing is locking myself in my room!

5. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Before I read that post, I was going to write the same thing. Not word for word, of course. But welcome to the real world. You should be far ahead of the others when you finish college. Now you know what to expect.

Ed

6. staplehead

staplehead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    georgia
    keep ur head up.....this will pass...there will allways be people continuosly letting you down.....but hey,,,celebrate your mature'ness.....

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I too always hated "group projects." If your professor has functional eyes, he/she will be aware of what is going on. Always hated it when someone else's lack of work ethic impacted me. Hopefully this is a one semester course, and next semester you can escape the leeches. Hang in, and know that you will be successful.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    My daughter often said that she hated the group project also. It doesn't seem to very fair for you to do all the work, and still have to rely on irresponsible people for a good grade. [​IMG]
    I have to agree though it is teaching you about the real world, and about the people that you have to work with in the future.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    While I agree that it is teaching some real world experience; I doubt that is what the projects are really about. It might be something to discuss with the professor. A series of questions; starting with "What do you expect us to learn from these projects?" might be in order. As this is a business ethics course, it could be that the professor is trying to serve lessons on taking credit for others work, how teamwork can reward or punish team members equally, even if the team isn't equal; and testing to see if uneven teams try to assign credit to those who deserve it.

I think that some of these questions should be taken to the professor. If all the professor expects is the projects themselves to be done; then the professor needs to realize that he is handicapping students. If the other motives are there; you know where you stand and can work from that viewpoint.

The difference in perspective can really help. If you know part of this assignment is the whole "ethics of teamwork"; it becomes easier to accept the lessons.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all the support guys. I definitely work better in groups when it's a real life situation, so I'm not too worried about that. EMS has taught me real quickly that you either learn to work well with your "group" or you put people at risk.

We had our presentation today and I think all in all we did well. Very well compared to the group we were up against (Two groups presented different sides of one topic). I did most of the presentation because I had most of the slides. I also found out that the project in which you manage is the one you get the most credit for, and the one I managed we got a 195/200. Makes me feel a WHOLE lot better!

I also took my test today and I think I did ok. It was really really tough, so I'm hoping I got at least an 80 something. Now for the rest of the week I get to semi relax. Thi weekend I have to write up a lab report, but it really shouldn't be too bad.

So here's to hoping my week is less stressful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by