I'm Stumped- another holiday gift thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by halfwaynowhere, Dec 9, 2010.

1. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    My family isn't really doing Christmas this year, for various reasons. But I love giving presents- to me, its the whole spirit of the season.
    I've been dating someone since the beginning of November. Its not really serious yet, but I feel like it could be. He's not from around here, so he doesn't have any family in the area, and he's been getting kind of bummed about the holidays. So I want to get him a gift, so that he doesn't feel completely left out. Problem is, I don't have a clue what to get him! I always have issues shopping for men!
    He's a 37 year old bachelor, a football fan (although I can't help but think football merchandise is tacky and impersonal). He rents a room, so he doesn't have a whole lot of space for stuff.
    I'm looking to spend anywhere from $15-50 on a gift. I can do homemade though i'd prefer not to at this point. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    What does he do for a living?

If he works outside - an extra thick shirt or a gift cert to a donut shop for coffee

3. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    he runs his own business, though i'm not really sure on the details. he does security related stuff. he works a lot, but i don't know exactly what he does, so i don't know what kinds of things he can use for work.
    I prefer to stay away from gift cards, i'd just rather give him something that shows i put some thought into it. problem is, all the thinking i'm doing is coming up with nothing!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What does he need? Thats what i'd get him..
    If hes renting a room..maybe he needs a hot plate or toaster over to make small meals? (if he has no kitchen in his room?)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Here it is. The ONE. Send him a plant and with that plant will be an invitiation to a candlelit dinner at your house (or to a restaurant). Ken's birthday was the day after we met, and this went over VERY well. We still have the plant!

6. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    Quote:problem with men is that they tend to buy themselves the stuff they need or want, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for anything else.
    he has access to a kitchen, so i doubt he'd need a hot plate or anything. i'd get him a blanket or something, but he likes it cold. everything i can think of, i can think of reasons why it won't work! men are complicated (or maybe I'm just complicating things too much).

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Debis idea is fun... make him a special dinner and night of fun. [​IMG]

8. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Does he enjoy wine? A nice bottle of his favorite.

Or how bout beer? A selection of beers from microbreweries.

Put together some snackies from World Market.

A bowl with popcorn or candy and gift certificate for two to the movies with an invite from you.

An invite to go bowling or miniture golfing.

A warm pair of slippers.

A favorite DVD or CD.

Does he play Wii? A new game.

have fun!

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I like it. I'm death on plants... good thing the first gift I gave DH was a dagger.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yes yes!! sounds awesome Good idea Deb!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by