I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Holli, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Holli

Holli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    I have one RIR cross, about 3-4weeks old. We had a bout of coccidiosis thru a run of about 14 chicks, and she was one of the worse off. They were treated, and then put back on a medicated starter that im going to continue for a couple more weeks. Everyone else bounced back within a couple days, but this little girl just sits in the corner, feathers ruffled, eyes closed. The only time she really gets up is when she sees me coming, and walks to me to hold her. I am now putting DE in their feed, and apple cider vinegar in their water. Any other ideas what this might be, or other remedies?

Thanks!

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    The ruffled feathers may indicate that she's trying to keep warm. Can you bring her inside and give her some high protien treats (cooked chicken, scrambled eggs, etc.) for a day and see if it helps?

3. Holli

Holli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Yes. Thanks for the advise. I have her in a shoe box in the sunny kitchen window. She appears rather uninterested in food, but I am going to scramble an egg now! [​IMG]
    ThanksAgain!

4. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Is she too big for you to snuggle and hold in your lap? I can't remember how old mine were when I used to take turns holding each of them all snuggled up in a handtowel from the dryer. They *loved* it and got them used to being held. When they were really little I put them in my tanktop.... between the ahem, girls.

5. Holli

Holli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Inside, but not interested in food. Passed fecal matter that looked like it had stringy tissue, or a worm.

6. Holli

Holli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    My daughter had been bringing her in every night to do that exactly! [​IMG] I think she may have worms... And possibly just some sort of runt like behaviors. Hope she lives!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:At 3-4 weeks, she wont have worms. Did you do the full treatment for the coccidia or cut it short as soon as you seen the others getting better? DE wont do anything for her at all. If you used corid the first time, I recommend you use sulmet this time. If you used sulmet before, use corid this time. Whichever, do the full required treatment.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jen

9. Holli

Holli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Dawg54: I did a full treatment plus a couple days of something the vet gave me called Albon. Its a sulfer solution specifically for coccidiosis in poultry. Then switched them to the medicated starter. You sure they can't have worms tho? I have 2, 1week old easter eggers that had what clearly looked like adult worms in their stool. I did a sour milk flush just to make sure that was what I was seeing, and they pooped straight worms for 24 hours! So what could it be if not worms?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you are positively sure that you saw worms in their poop, then yes, you need to worm them. It sounds like your soil must have alot of eggs in it and they are infested. I've never heard of pullets getting worm infested this soon. I recommend you purchase wazine and worm them right away. Dosage is one ounce per gallon of water. Leave it out for them to drink for 24 hours, then discard and provide them with regular freshwater. Another option is to buy valbazen. It's a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It is given orally. Another wormer you can use is Safeguard equine paste. Dosage is a "pea" size amount given orally.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by