1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm stumped...mixed chick - parents are purebred

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarkerChickens, Dec 17, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    A friend of ours, who has hens only, had a hen go broody so he put some of OUR eggs under his hen. About 2 weeks ago, he hatched three little chicks. First let me mention what the chicks could be mixed with...
    Roos - black Jersey Giant and salmon Faverolle
    Hens - black Jersey Giants, salmon Faverolles, buckeyes, welsummers, barred Rocks, Delawares, and mottled Javas
    All are purebred from hatcheries (I have EE hens too, but they're eggs aren't in this hatch).

Alright, so he hatch 3...2 black and 1 yellow chick. All are 4 toes, no feathered legs, no muffs that he could see. So, I think they are all the JG roos chicks (he is the alpha roo, which makes sense). He hasn't gotten close enough to see all the combs. It has been about 2 weeks and they are starting to feather. The little yellow one (unknown comb) he said has black and white barring on the tips of the feathers with some brown/tan coming in as well. What is it? I used one of the online chicken genetic calculators and the only JG mix that I can think of that would have barring is a JG roo x Del hen, but it is a yellow chick...not black. But, what about the tan/brown feathers he sees? The chicks free range with his mom, so I am guessing it is black/white barred with dirty feathers (he won't appreciate me telling him that! [​IMG] ). Any other JG roo cross will produce would produce a black or brown chick. Oh...I am ruling out the SF hens or roo since the polydactly, muffs and feathered legs should be dominate. Plus, the barring doesn't seem right for a SF mix. He swears I am wrong and that it is a SF mix. [​IMG]

What do you think? (I don't have a pic)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    We all know that hatchery birds are not pure.Check the leg color-yelow ,daddy is JG,white-daddy is SF

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:I will have him look at the leg color. To think that my SF roo may pass on NO muffs, 4 toes and NO feathered legs is frustrating! [​IMG]

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It doesnt take very long to realize that if you want pure breeding stock that breeds true to type and color you will be best served to purchase breeding stock from thsoe that focus on doing that. Hatchery stock is produced at quite low cost, focuses on production and in general are quite happy if the end product has at least most of the breed characteristics in their most general sense.

What you have here is not at all unusual. Enjoy the birds you have and seek some breeding stock if you have a desire to breed your birds and have stock that looks the type

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I know that good quality genes are only in the breeder stock...and we do plan to go that route eventually. But, we figured with our mixed hatches, we could at least tell if they were from the JG roo or SF roo. Oh well.

OH!!! I asked him about the legs. He said they're yellow.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The JG roo crossed on barred hens would give sexlinks-black girls and barred boys so he could be a sexlink cockerel.

7. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:That's what I am thinking...the yellow down is what throws me off. Barring is black with white barring, so shouldn't he be black? Then again, my mottled Javas were mostly all yellow and are now mostly black with some white mottling.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The chick is wheaten (pics would help) so the father is the faverolle and the mother is the buckeye or the delaware. The faverolle father is most likely heterozygous for his traits so he could have chicks that do not have muffs and feathered shanks etc. The white tip with a black bar is not unusual in chick down and does not mean that the chick is barred. If it is a barred chick it is a male and the delaware is the mother. My money is on the buckeye.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  9. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I finally saw a pic of the chick. It does NOT have faverolle feathering it has the white and brown feathering just like my Buckeye chicks had as chicks (how did he think they were black and white barred? [​IMG] ). It has no muffs, no feathered legs, 4 toes and a straight comb. My guess is that it is a JG/Buckeye and will grow up to be solid brown like our Buckeyes. He and DH thought that the Buckeye chicks grew in all brown feathers initially, but when I pulled up "baby" pics, they remembered. [​IMG] Thanks ya'll!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by