I'm stumped: treats for 1 week old chicks

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
I read this forum and want to see the cuteness in my 12 new chicks. 3 RIR, 3 barred Rocks, 3 Amaricaunas, and 3 white wps (not even gonna try to spell them).

I've tried the following:
nectarine
apple
peanut butter
scrambled eggs (shared some of mine and even made them their own egg without salt and pepper)

nothing. They get close to it and shake their little heads like the smell is offensive. One of my BR's got close, pecked at some eggs and walked back to her crumble (and kicked a load of pine shavings into the water dish).

I'm by no means desperate, they're only a week old. I'd just LOVE to see them get excited about something besides running away from my hand every time I put it into the brooder.

Yes, chopped hard boiled egg or perhaps some yogurt, allowed to come to room temp.
They're going to ignore or be afraid of the treat at first. You have to leave it in with them for awhile until they overcome their fear.

Strawberries, blackberries, grass, and earthworms are the ones mine loved best -once they were brave enough to eat them! Till they were 3 months old, mine would never believe i was trying to feed them food. I would bring them things, they ran away. Cautiously they apporoached the 'thing' and then backed away. But after a few minutes they got it, and the next time, they knew it was good and fought over it.

One thing my babies loved at a a few days old was chewed up carrot. And yes I chewed up carrots for them and fed them from my hand. Gross maybe, but that's what many momma birds do for their babies. They are two months old now and come running at the sound of crunching carrots. I gave them whole grain bread too in small amounts. I was warned too much would be bad for them.

I found a treat my chicks and hens all love - it's an unsweetened puffed rice cereal - they go nuts over it!! It comes in a bag on the cereal isle and costs like .89 cents a bag.

FYI - NEVER GIVE A CHICK OR ANY BIRD FOR THAT MATTER RAW, UNCCOKED RICE!!!!! It expands in them and will kill them.

Back
Top Bottom