I'm stumped: treats for 1 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ravishaw, May 26, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I read this forum and want to see the cuteness in my 12 new chicks. 3 RIR, 3 barred Rocks, 3 Amaricaunas, and 3 white wps (not even gonna try to spell them).

I've tried the following:
    nectarine
    apple
    peanut butter
    scrambled eggs (shared some of mine and even made them their own egg without salt and pepper)

nothing. They get close to it and shake their little heads like the smell is offensive. One of my BR's got close, pecked at some eggs and walked back to her crumble (and kicked a load of pine shavings into the water dish).

I'm by no means desperate, they're only a week old. I'd just LOVE to see them get excited about something besides running away from my hand every time I put it into the brooder.

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Try mashing up a boiled egg with a fork till there are no identifiable pieces left. Mine love it!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, chopped hard boiled egg or perhaps some yogurt, allowed to come to room temp.
    They're going to ignore or be afraid of the treat at first. You have to leave it in with them for awhile until they overcome their fear.

4. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    i'm wondering, does temperature matter?

5. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Strawberries, blackberries, grass, and earthworms are the ones mine loved best -once they were brave enough to eat them! Till they were 3 months old, mine would never believe i was trying to feed them food. I would bring them things, they ran away. Cautiously they apporoached the 'thing' and then backed away. But after a few minutes they got it, and the next time, they knew it was good and fought over it.

6. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    One thing my babies loved at a a few days old was chewed up carrot. And yes I chewed up carrots for them and fed them from my hand. Gross maybe, but that's what many momma birds do for their babies. They are two months old now and come running at the sound of crunching carrots. I gave them whole grain bread too in small amounts. I was warned too much would be bad for them.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE a clod of dirt. preferably with grass on top. I just take out Mr. Shovel and dig up a clump and pop it in the brooder. Happy chickies!

8. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

...and don't forget the grit.

9. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    I found a treat my chicks and hens all love - it's an unsweetened puffed rice cereal - they go nuts over it!! It comes in a bag on the cereal isle and costs like .89 cents a bag.

FYI - NEVER GIVE A CHICK OR ANY BIRD FOR THAT MATTER RAW, UNCCOKED RICE!!!!! It expands in them and will kill them.

10. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Popcorn. They can't resist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by