1. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    The spot I've decided to site the coop has an old, dessicating stump that's almost cut down to the ground. It sticks up maybe 3 inches on one end to 6 or 7 inches on the other and it's gotta be 22-24 inches across. I thought it might be a nice place for the chickens to hang out and that it also looks to be attracting insects when it's warmer. Does anyone know of any reason NOT to include this in the run? I think it's either an old oak or sycamore (only because we have lots of those).

thanks!

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sounds like a good recycle, my vote is "go for it"!! [​IMG]

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    No reason that I know of as long has it has not been treated with anything to make it rot quicker. I think the birds would enjoy it! [​IMG]

4. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    hi! i just posted pics of our coop, and you can see the stump in our run in the pic of the girls here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104364

we
    also used a piece of another stump that got cut closer to the ground as a "table" for their waterer - keep it a little higher out of reach of chicken SCRATCHING! not sure if you can see it in the pics, though.

i say go for it, and leave it in there!

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Absolutely - The girls will love it!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Leave it. The girls will love it. Can you post some pics?

7. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Theres an old stump in our coop. the chickens love it, theyre all over the top of it & have found plenty of tasty bugs.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think it will be a great natural addition to your run. Check it out all over and make sure no rodents have set up house inside. Other than that, I'm thinking it will be an excellent addition to your run! [​IMG]

9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I deliberately left a stump when I took down a tree to put in the latest coops run. Entertainment and snack source for the birds. I just wish it was bigger and older.

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Keep it. I would.[​IMG] Give them something to perch on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by