I'm Stumped?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by easttxchick, Aug 6, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I had a Black Sumatra chick that hatched out on Saturday morning and a Pyncheon Bantam that hatched out Sunday. I thought I could brood them together(despite a bit of a size difference), but the Sumatra chick immediately started pulling Pynchies toenails, eye poking, etc.(to the point I had to separate them).
    Each chick has a stuffed toy, heat lamp, mirror, etc. and their little brooders are side by side-where they can hear, but not see each other.
    All was fine until yesterday when I took them out together to let them stretch their wings and legs. Of course, Sumatra baby started picking on Pynchie baby so playtime didn't last long.
    As soon as I put them back in their brooders-Pynchie baby started peeping and basically hasn't stopped since about 3 yesterday afternoon. She isn't cold, is eating and drinking fine, movin' and shakin' in her brooder(seems very healthy).
    Is this just because I actually let them interact yesterday and then separated them?
    I have hatched/brooded quite a few chicks(even single chicks) and this one has me puzzled(and looking for earplugs).
    Thanks for any input.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like she's lonely. Even with the pecking order abuse she wants the company.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Try letting them see eachother through wire. Or put gauze on their feet. That's what I do when their feet bleed, and it also prevents more pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by