1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm such a bad mom

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    We've been getting busy with work so when I get home I sit down to relax and fall asleep right away. Last night I forgot to lock the chickens up for the night but it's worse than that. I accidentally locked them OUT of their house (they were in the run) and even left the soaker hose on (soaker hose+shade cloth=swamp cooler when it's hot but over night = mess) and FLOODED the coop. It dried out over the course of the hot day but still...

Then today I fell asleep again. I had locked them inside the house but they didn't look happy so I let them out again but didn't lock it LOL. I woke up at midnight and ran out to check on them. No chickens in the chick-house. No chickens in the coop. Where the heck are they? Then I hear something...I look up. They flew up onto the shade cloth ceiling! I thought for sure they would end up being eaten by an owl or something. I had to stand on a bucket and grab each one by hand to put them into the house. I even had to "pop" a few to get them closer to the edge. I felt so bad, I'm a bad mom. That will sure teach me a lesson. Tomorrow I'm setting an alarm just in case I fall asleep again. [​IMG] Anyone else have these moments?

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Aww, don't feel badly. I've done things like that myself. I finally gave up and surroundd my coop with chain link and made a pop door so they can come and go as they please. They don't get to free range anymore, but I haven't lost any to predators since. What makes me feel badly is when I come home from work in the morning, let the dogs out to potty and fall asleep on the couch. I eventually wake up to bring them in and it's so hot that they would dig in the water bucket and not have anything to drink. I always feel like such a bad dog mom when that happens.
    That's a good idea to set an alarm, I will do that in the morning when I get home. That way, the poor things don't have a heat stroke or something.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Im a bad mom when I don't move the chicken tractor to fresh grass every day. Sometimes I just don't feel like it, ok? (they'll never understand)

I'm a bad mom when I don't walk the dog. Sometimes I'm just not feeling up to exercise after a hard day, OK? (but mom, it's the ONLY time I get to leave the yard!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by