I'm such a n00b... but I need help with an aquarium incubator..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moonpuppy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. moonpuppy

moonpuppy New Egg

Mar 12, 2009
    Hi! First of all, this is my first post and my first time on this board. I came here because a lot of posts from here came up when I googled questions about hatching chickens.

Unfortunately, I am now thoroughly confused from having read different info from all the sites that came up when I googled this, so I hope someone can let me know if I'm on the right track.

I am trying to make an incubator out of an aquarium. I have a reptile light with a 75 w halogen bulb on top of a cover. The temp inside has only made it to 92* and its been on for ten hours now... should I get a hotter bulb, or does it take longer than this? Also, the humidity seems to be around 50%.. which I read was acceptable, right?

Where should the water be in the tank?

Where should the eggs be in relation to the water?

Thanks in advance, I'm just so confused!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Sounds like you need to switch to a stronger light. Good luck!

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    some people build a wire mesh rack sort of thing and have the water under it while others just sit a little pan of water where the eggs are.

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    it is fairly easy to build yourself and incubator! there are some really great ideas here, and you can use the ideas here to create your own incubators, or go ahead and use one of the ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-incubator.html

you may want to make a few, test and see how they work and put a dozen in each to see which works better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by