I'm such an awful person...... :( UPDATE :)

SilkieChickenLover336

Songster
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
New Jersey
I am a very awful person. I still have my chickens in the brooder because me and my father are procrastinaters. We arent even close to finishing it and the chickens are way to squished in that tiny brooder...
I feel so bad for them. I have no idea how to build a coop. What should i do!?!?!? I have no clue. I have about 2 options.

Option #1.

My dads friend have a bunch of chickens too so could I possibly give them to him and then when im done with the coop take the ones I want back? There is only one problem... they are only like 3 months old and the other ones are like 1 to 5.... wouldnt they kill them?

Option #2 .

I have a dog cage for the outdoors so maybe i could get a mini shelter coop thing for now and keep them in that... there is a problem with that too... i have 3 roosters out of 11 and they all crow....

What do i do???

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could give a few to your friend and keep the rest in the dog cage for now, I wouldn't keep too many though. Make sure they have shelter (you can get a doghouse on craigslist for cheap or free) or even a big cardboard box with a tarp for a few days - but you should get busy!
smile.png

Quote:
First off, your not awful! The cool thing is I bet you have an amazing imagination! As far as building something - don't worry about messing it up. I am sure you can make a plain square box! Better yet, that dog cage you have would work if you find something for a roof, cover the back and one of the sides. You simply want them to be able to get out of the rain, have some shade and block the wind. You wouldn't even have to really " build" anything if you could find something like a plastic tarp to put on the roof and sides. I bet if you start on it, your dad will see your effort and help you finish it or improve it. if you need more help, let me know!

if you have Duct tape and zip ties and something to cut with you can improvise lots of stuff. I had to improvise a brooder cover and I did it with cardboard, some left over wire crates, zip ties and scissors. Give yourself more credit. You have skills, you have concern for your chickens. Keep us posted with what you come up with! Good Luck and happy improvising.

Chickens don't need anything fancy just a place to perch at night, food, water, and shade for the hot days. I have seen all kinds of coops from old trailers to just two peices of plywood set on the ground in the shape of a triangled roof. The main thing is to keep them safe from other animals expecially at night and they love being up high when they sleep it makes them feel safe. The other thing I would do if I were you is get rid of those roosters to the farmer you talked about. Good luck!!

I have built all their coops and runs- it can be a great project! If you don't want to use power tools, thats ok, use your imagination! I made a "chicken tent" and it only took hammer, nails, wire, and a tarp! they love it- its like a little sun tent so they can stay out of the heat. I will try to get some pictures and post them on here soon. There are endless possibilities for making a chicken shelter. I wish you the best of luck!
smile.png

I'm a full grown man and I still messed up my coop...don't feel bad if whatever you make is a little "off"...@ home depot and lowes they can cut boards for you or they even sell plywood 4x4 (and other sizes) already precut...slap a few together wih hammer and nails add to that your dog crate and you can buy yourself a little time until your dad "gets to it"...if you have 3 roos, I would def give your friend at least 2
smile.png
...best of luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom