1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm sure I don't what to hear the answer to this but... (PR or RB?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mikey D, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Production red pullet (I hope, I hope, I hope!)

or Red Broiler.

I'm almost 8 weeks into my first chicken adventure & got 10 peepers - I split an order form Ideal with TracyDr and we were supposed to have 2 PR's and 2 RB's.

(and 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Australorps & 2 Cornish Crosses)

This is One Dot and she (I hope, I hope, I hope!) is the friendliest, most cuddly bird of the batch!

[​IMG]

There is a definite roo in the batch and I'm really hoping One Dot is a well developed Production Red Pullet.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thus far she looks like a pullet to me

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    She looks a lot like my Rosemary, a New Hampshire Red - and Rosemary is the friendliest and nosiest hen in my flock.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Looks like a pullet to me.

5. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Quote:She looks just like my (hatchery-quality) New Hampshire Red, too!

ETA she does look pullety...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

congratulations it's girl! [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm not as convinced it's a girl. There are a couple tail feathers that are starting to arch downward and I can't see the legs.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Thank you hdowden, CarolJ, HEChicken, polishchickens111 and hcppam - you're tell'n me just what I want to hear! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW - is a New Hampshire red AKA a Production Red? (or close enough as to make no never-mind?)

nurse_turtle - I'm trying to get a good pict of legs. Each time I pick her (I hope) up she (I hope) squats down and sets on my arm - cannot see feet. By the time I got her (I hope) on a table the silly batteries were dead and the Control Tower (read: Beloved wife) did not follow protocol and put the spares in the charger...[​IMG]

I'm going to weld up a couple of brackets for a roost in the coop - I'll get some fancy leg shots in an hour or so. Then we can confirm!

Thanks again!

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Looks girly to me.. If it turns out that its' a boy, don't tell him that we said he looked girly. [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A hatchery red bird, for sure. Does have that hatchery NH look. The production red is just a colloquial name for a red bird bred to lay well. It isn't a breed anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by