I'm sure it won't make it but...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Supermommy486, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I'm at least going to try. My broody stepped on one of my pretty green EE eggs that *SHOULD* have been hatching this weekend.[​IMG] The only thing broken is the shell, not the membrane. But still I can't leave it under broody and I don't have a incubator of any sort. Soooo I have it under a shop lamp for right now. I'm sure it won't make it but at least I can say I tried? [​IMG]

Anyone have any luck with anything similar? I don't have high hopes, but I also couldn't toss it with out trying.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    My broody switched nests with 3 days to go - I don't thing mine will make it either - but you have to try.

I think the issue you will have is with humidity - the egg will dry out quickly - make sure there is lots of humidity around it or the chick will be stuck in the membrane.

3. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I do have a rag I keep rewetting and draping over the egg. On errand days I wont be here to keep an eye on it though. Since it's not enclosed would it help to set a little bowl of water next to it?

4. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I just saw a post recently in which someone had a similar issue. They melted wax over the cracks, and removed the wax once the chick pipped. Can't remember if her egg was under a hen or in an incubator though. NOthing to lose by trying.

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have never incubated the right way, let alone a make shift way so take this for what it is worth. What about a bowl of water w/ a grate, or wire mesh over it to hold the egg over the water that is being heated by the lamp. If you have a second larger clear bowl you could prop it over the whole thing and keep some heat and humidity close to the egg, but still allow for venting. [​IMG] Either way, hope it works for you and the little chickie. [​IMG]

6. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    It was bigger than a crack, part of the shell was missing.

BUT as I was out in the garage checking on it and getting water on the rag...I knocked the thing over...out went the egg.
    SO here is my URGENT question!!

The chick is somehow still in tact in the sac, yolk is still there ans it's still moving in there. Is there ANYWAY this chick might make it without the shell? Or should I cull it now? Poor baby...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    AGH. Nevermind. It didn't make it, isn't moving and seemed to have bled while I was frantically trying to see if I could save it. [​IMG]
    Again, at least I tried. Thanks for all of your help!

8. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    [​IMG]

9. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Quote:I know...I'm so dang clumsy.

10. Joey8765

Joey8765 Chillin' With My Peeps