I'm suspicious

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SassyCatHill, Jun 1, 2008.

1. SassyCatHill

SassyCatHill Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I purchased 5 mixed hens from a guy who assured me that this Ameraucana is a hen, but I suspect it is a roo... what do y'all think? I'm also wondering what this type of coloring is called?

[​IMG]

Misc. info...
    *never heard it crow
    *is in a coop with a very dominate buff orph roo and doesn't get attacked
    *very timid but sweet
    *no blue-green eggs ever found in the nesting boxes

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    MAJOR ROO!!!!!!!!!!

3. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

That's *definitely* a roo.

Don't know what you'd call the coloring. He's handsome, though.

Almost looks like he was crossed with a silver-laced wyandotte.

Em

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Ameracuana or EE have their own wild and wonderful colors. I am not sure if he had never seen a Roo or was just in denial but that is a Roo and hopefully will crow for you soon. His tail feathers look nice and green and shiny like my Ameracuanas (Roosa).
    He is the most timid and sweet guy, great protector of the ladies too. I dont think you will find eggs in his nesting box soon unless he has company over.

Excuse the pic his face tufts were starting to grow back in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, that's a handsome roo for sure. Looks like a silver duckwing variety crossed, so probably an EE, not pure Ameraucana.

Jody

6. SassyCatHill

Feb 2, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Oh dear, that's what I was afraid of. 'Trudy' just became Truman I guess. I think the guy knew that it was a roo and just wanted the higher amount of cash he could get for a laying hen. Ticks me off. :mad:

Truthfully, I think he's kinda homely. After reading more about them I kinda figured it was an EE too.

So, next question... a couple actually...
    Do you think he doesn't crow because he is afraid of the other rooster in the coop?
    They have gotten along peacefully until now... do you think that will continue?

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Were they raised together?
    I dont think fear has anything to do with crowing. Did he say how old they are?

8. SassyCatHill

Feb 2, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    No they weren't raised together. I got the dominant Buff Orph roo (Seymour) at an auction. I got 'Truman' as a part of the group of hens that I was getting for Seymour that were just starting to lay, so however old hens are when they start laying?

Truman seems to just kind of avoid all of the hens and Seymour and sticks to himself.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    They could possibly get along, it just depends, is this one old enough to be sexually active and be a threat to the other male? If he is not old enough, then that is why the other rooster doesnt go after him, you said he doesnt crow. Problems could arise when he starts to show interest in the girls, but by then, they could find a tolerance for each other.

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I dont think fear has anything to do with crowing. Did he say how old they are?

Actually, it can. When I got my first chickens and 2 decided to turn into roos, only one was crowing.....loud and constant. My sweet little Sigmund wouldn't say a word except for an occasional squeaky, quiet, crow, then he would look frightened. As soon as we re-homed Aaron (he was MEAN) Sigmund started crowing all day every day and didn't stop until a raccoon killed him about a month ago. I have heard of other roosters not crowing out of fear, also. However, if they are getting along I can't imagine that would be the reason.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by