I'm terrible.

bennnn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
This evening,,, I had an excellent dinner that consisted of grilled chicken breasts and chicken flavored stuffing...

My two barred rocks got the leftovers,,, and it wasn't just stuffing crumbs if you know what I mean.......

I just turned my chickens into cannibals,, but they gobbeled it all right up,, it had basil and olive oil on it...

Mmmm... I kind of feel bad now.

I wouldn't worry too much. Animals are opportunistic feeders/eaters and they are not sitting in their coop feeling nautious 'cause you shared your dinner with them and it happened to be 'one of their own'. They know nothing of the sort, so I wouldn't stay up feeling too bad.
wink.png
Sounds like a yummy dinner though!!

I fed my chickens chicken lunch meat from a sandwich I was eating outside once. It was one of those moments where I was like, "What would happen if...?"

My suspicions were confirmed. Chickens, like seagulls, are opportunists and will eat almost anything.

Then I guess I'm in good company. I recently cooked a grocery store chicken and gave the girls the giblets and neck. It was kind of scary.

If you read the "Meat Birds" thread, you'll see that lots of people who process their own meaties find that their laying hens go crazy for the offal.

I have to admit that when they are underfoot and I am cooking chicken parts on the BBQ, it does give me pause. They will eat whatever they can find, including spilled dog food on occasion, which had meat in it. That being said, the meat leftovers still go to the dog. All veggie, fruits and grains go to the chickens - feeding chicken to chickens just gives me the willies.

i made this big huge pot of chinese food with chicken it in. it was a new recipe and it was awful! not that it tasted 'bad' but just not right.

anyway, it was wayyyyyyyyyy too much food to throw out...and i thought the teriyaki/soy sauce would not be good for the dogs so i gave it to my chickens. they devoured it. but i did feel a bit bad, like i was turning them into the donner party or something
wink.png

Quote:
In the future, I think I'd be careful about the salt in this type of food. Teriyaki and soy sauce are LOADED with salt, and if I'm not mistaken, chickens are subject to salt toxicosis just like my aviary birds are. Just a suggestion...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom