I'm The Laughing Stock Of BYC..........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gltrap54, Nov 10, 2016.

1. gltrap54

gltrap54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Ten hens & I recently bought eggs at the store! Folks this is starting to grate on my last nerve.......... Two oldest (red production) are 3 years old so I don't expect much from them..... Next 3 were a year old in March (red production) & I suspect they are molting....... However I bought 5 pullets (BO) off Craigslist from a local high school boy that was going to nationals with his 4H chickens, so I felt confident they were a good investment (& healthy) at $10 each.... He had about 50-75 BO as one of his 4H projects & was selling them off at 14 weeks.......... Said they'd lay in a month......... Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!!! They are approaching 30 weeks & no eggs!!!! I get a stray egg from the 3 middle hens maybe once a week, but that's it! I may need counseling soon! I searched threads here & find BO can indeed take 25-30 weeks to lay........

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, pullets will lay when they are good and ready. [​IMG]

What are you feeding?

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

With that many birds in molt, I suggest using an all flock or flock raiser instead of layer feed. Also because you are keeping them around for a while. Reason is too much calcium in non layers can cause kidney issues long term. And the higher protein will help feathers grow back in since that is what they are mostly made of.

I use Purina Flock Raiser it has 20% protein and about 1% calcium. Typical layer has 16% protein and 4% calcium.

With that many birds, I also suggest you try fermenting. The smell of the chicken poo being less bad is enough reason alone. But check out the link in my signature line if you don't already ferment. The savings add up. [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have about 90 chickens and get about 3-5 eggs a day right now, it's just the time of year.

If you are serious about egg production you need to raise egg producing breeds, and cull after the second season, as well as raising your replacements to start laying as your older birds are molting.

I just like chickens, so mine are allowed to produce as they want. I do feed a higher protein feed too to optimize production as well as health.

1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I add light on a timer in winter, feed Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side, and have a mixed flock of the old, the young, and the good producers. Right now; two cocks, three cockerels, twenty-six pullets, and seventeen hens. I'm getting twelve to twenty eggs per day, which isn't too bad, considering that some pullets aren't yet in lay, and some of the older ladies are close to finished. Mary

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're not a laughingstock, you're simply in good company [​IMG].

I currently have triple digit birds. One of The Locusts wanted eggs for breakfast--on the counter was a carton with a single, solitary egg. Not even a full size egg, a Silkie egg [​IMG]. Only egg to be found on the entire acre. I thought he was going to start shaking hens and see what fell out!

I agree it's time of year, I have a lot of older hens molting and taking a break. I do, however, have some Rocks and other pullets from this year who should be laying. The only ones producing are my Leghorns, bless their tiny white hearts, and two older hens who molted and came back into lay. I'm thinking to add lights, but go back and forth as we're planning on moving......

be glad you're only feeding ten freeloaders......I buy my feed by the thousand pound tote.......

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It also works better to have a flock including different breeds, so everyone isn't molting at the same time! Birds also vary in molting times and length of molt; the best layers tend to feather out early as chicks, molt later in fall, and take much less time to feather back and start laying eggs again. None of this matters if you're doing a commercial type operation, all- in, all- out every year, but for a long lived flock, it's helpful to pay attention. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by