I'm thinking about a mule/donkey to protect my chickens...

They won't protect your chickens.

X2. My mini mule has tried to stomp chickens, but hasn't been fast enough to catch them. Ducks, unfortunately, she did connect with occasionally. Donkeys and mules protect their territory, not necessarily the animals in it; they may accept the ones that have been living there, but attack new ones as "invaders."

Mules are cool. They have the horse personality

I have horses, too, and the personality is very different.

There's a saying, "a horse is smart. A donkey is smarter. A mule is smarter than you; deal with it."

Yeah, scary smart. Ya gotta love 'em in their own right.:idunno

I had 2 donkeys when I had guineas. The birds and donkeys were close friends. The donkeys enjoyed the bug-eating service provided by the guineas. But I don't know about protecting them--I don't really think the donkeys were altruistic. And the guineas ranged outside of the donkey pasture much of the time. I enjoyed their interactions.
donkey guineas (3 of 1).jpg

I've had donkeys for decades. They have done a decent job keeping most predators at bay here for the past 20 years. We recently put down the old mom donkey due to age related problems. Her 2 boys haven't been as good at going after predators. Maybe they are still grieving their mom.

I would recommend a female for guarding. The males can sometimes go after critters. Mine have gone after the goats, and muscovy ducks in their younger days. I haven't had problems with them and the chickens. I sometimes see a chicken riding a donkey. One chicken would routinely roost on one during winter one year.

Donkeys will stomp any canines so if you have dogs you need to be careful.

Donkeys are a long term commitment, but are fairly easy to keep. They don't eat much, and don't require fancy stuff like grain or alfalfa. Good pasture and grass hay will keep them fat, maybe too fat. They do need regular hoof care. Otherwise they are pretty simple.

They aren't like horses. So working with them is different. They are intelligent critters, who need gentle handling. They will never forget cruel handling.

If your set up is right they could help with predators. Not every donkey does the job well or consistently, so be sure you actually want the donkeys, yes get 2 or they will horribly lonely.

Last edited:
X2. My mini mule has tried to stomp chickens, but hasn't been fast enough to catch them. Ducks, unfortunately, she did connect with occasionally. Donkeys and mules protect their territory, not necessarily the animals in it; they may accept the ones that have been living there, but attack new ones as "invaders."

I have horses, too, and the personality is very different.

There's a saying, "a horse is smart. A donkey is smarter. A mule is smarter than you; deal with it."

Yeah, scary smart. Ya gotta love 'em in their own right.:idunno
All of this.

Dogs need good training and very good fencing, and are very expensive guardians for a few suburban chickens!
Few if any horses, mules, or whatever will care to protect your chickens. My horses just don't care, although they would protect herd members.
If you have experience with horses, and really want mules, go for it, but be ready for the costs and management issues, and more fencing.
Electric fencing does really well to protect chickens, and that safe coop and covered run.
Mary

That's too bad. [...]

A few people around here try to keep them as pets and run into lots of trouble.
We were very pleasantly surprised when our rescued at 5 weeks old newfy/shepherd/rottweiler/younameit turned out to be such a good barnyard dog, and so fantastically gentle and docile at the same time. I absolutely love dogs. They get such a bad rap for the misdeeds of the people they follow. Thanks for expanding your remarks. Very thoughtful post. :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom