im thinking about buying from mypetchicken...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by americana-chick, Dec 22, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i know this forum might have to be in the hatchery board but i thought i would try here first.

I am thinking about buying from my pet chicken here in january but i didnt know if my pet chicken was a good hatchery or not. any one have experience with this hatchery? and i am thinking about getting these few chicks from there:
    Silver laced wyandottes-2 pullets
    marans-2 pullets
    easter eggers-2 pullets
    and possibly 2 salman faveralle pullets as well.

anyone know if you can get all those chicks as pullets? and are they all a good breed to have? example: social, good egg layers, easy to tame.. etc
    i already have a few EEs and i know if i can order 2 pullet EEs from mypetchicken i will. but i am not so sure on the other breeds thanks for you help!

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have ordered a few times from them. Its great you can order as little as 3 and have them sexed. I usually get Silkies, and they offer sexing on those for an additional cost. They take a while to ship them. Over 4 weeks I had to wait to get my babies. They all arrived alive and healthy (5) each time I ordered. Hope this helps..

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    We ordered all of our chickens (except for our Amer Games) from MPC. We have been extremely pleased with the quality of their service as well as the quality of their chicks. I have all of of the breeds you are inquiring about. My favs are the EE's because they seem to be the friendliest, next the Marans and then the SLW's. Yes, you can get them all as pullets. I really like the dark color of the Maran eggs. The SLW's seem to be higher in the pecking orger than the EE's or Marans. They all are very tame though. Our EE's are due to lay at any time. Feel free to email me anytime at work if you want to discuss further ([email protected]). Hope the above info helps out at least a little bit. [​IMG]

4. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    thanks! it helped. [​IMG] but one of my other questions is, can they sex salmon faveralles for me? i really want to buy from them but i am unsure of the chick quality, etc. but now that i heard from you it helps.
    Do you think i should get the salmon faveralles or just the SLW, marans, and EEs? i really do love EEs and yes my EEs are on the lower end of the pecking order wich is partly why i want to get more so that way my 1 (supose to be 3 but one turned out to be a roo and the other was in a predater attack) EE hen wont be so lonely sence she is the only hen who is on the bottom of the list. thanks!

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't they buy their stock from other hatcheries and re-sell them? I don't think they actually hatch their own stock. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong? I've never actually ordered from them.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I believe they advertise that they will sex everything. As far as I know they are the only people that sex bantums.

All of mine came from Mypetchicken. I have a SLW and 4 EEs from there. Check out my blog for an insane number of pictures from day one to present. My girls (and boys) are all about 8 months old at this point.

I don't think my chicks are show quality, but all have been healthy and good natured. The roosters can be brats at times, but I think that's mainly the nature of the beast, you know? I think some of mine (the SLW and GLW in particular) are absolutely gorgeous.

MPC was fine to work with. Their customer service was great. Somehow they forgot to send my initial order, but they made up for it by adding in a couple of chicks I wanted that I hadn't initially ordered. The people I talked to there were very, very nice and tried hard to get my order out properly.

I would recommend them in a heartbeat!

7. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I started to order my 12 BR's from MPC but ended up going with Ideal. The people at MPC were very nice and helpful. I just found out them to be a bit expensive for even a short order relative to Ideal. But, this is the first time I have ever ordered chicks so I'm not really an expert either.

8. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I haven't ordered from them, but I was told they drop-ship from Meyer.

9. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    I am emailing mypetchicken to get the whole scoop, they dont have pictures up or anything and i didnt know if were i was located was to far away from a mayjor city and if i would have to order more birds inorder to buy from them.... [​IMG]

10. lhowemt

lhowemt Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Montana
    I'm going to order from MPC this spring. I was going to go with McMurray, but I like MPC's ability to ship less than 25, and sex silkies!

I searched a lot of posts on this forum, and overall most people seemed satisfied. I do not expect to get show quality, but for my first foray into chickens, I think that will work fine. I hope to move into hatching my own eggs in the future so I can get higher quality and support breeders instead of mass-producing hatcheries.

FWIW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by