1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im thinking about hatching out some of my own girls eggs this time.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stormylady, Jan 10, 2010.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have pair of Salmon Faveroles and was thinking of hatching some of there eggs along with some other various mixes, but was wondering since the Favs. came from the same breeder would it be ok to hatch out some of there eggs? I ordered them from a byc member and was wondering if they would be considered to close possibly sister and brother to mate would it be safe for the chicks? They came in the same dozen eggs, and were the only two to make it.

These are the breeds of roos that I have and the hens any ideas on the combos that would make well laying hens and pretty as well
    Roos, Cuckoo Maran, Barred Rock, Orpingtons, Light brahma, Salmon Fav.

Hens are EEs lots of em, all difference colors , orpingtons, Cal. white leghorn, Salmon Fav. GSL, BSL, Black Aussie,speckled Sussex, cuckoo maran, and cochins blue, barred, partridge,red. and a barnvelder

any input would be helpful and if you have any mixes from these breeds i would love to see pictures!
    Thankyou Sandy

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Usually, it works just fine on the first few generations. Say your friend bred the SF's, got rid of the parents, bred the offspring, got rid of the second generation, bred the 3rd generation to itself, etc... by the time it gets down to 5th generation from the same original birds, you can expect some problems in the genetics. Some breeds may have problems at earlier generations than 5, some later. I try to not go over 3 generations without bringing in a new "strain" (a roo from a different bloodline). So, I'd expect your babies would be fine, and I'd at least try it if I were you.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thankyou that helps alot. I apprieate it. :Djavascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If they came from a breeder, I would think there's a good chance that they are not brother and sister. I've heard it's okay if they are, it's not like mammals. I'm probably getting a roo that was a chick from a roo who may be related to my 3 girls. I guess that would be a cousin? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by