I'm thinking about helping....PLEASE READ & ADVISE ME!!! *u*p*d*a*t*e*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my4ladies, Aug 2, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    I am afraid to help, but I don't want it to die b/c it dried out inside. I can only get my humidity to 65%. It's the end of day 21 and has a partial zip since NOON at the LATEST (I'm thinking more like 10am though...didn't watch the time). I can see white membrane where a tiny piece of the shell came off and a very tiny black spot which I'm thinking is where it pipped through the membrane. I'm thinking this is bad b/c now the inside is drying out too?????

Early this morning it had only 1 pip....it has progressed some, then just stopped. [​IMG]

What are some reasons NOT to help?

What would you do?

Keep in mind, this is my only egg...I don't have another chance [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    She made it!! She's here and healthy!! She came later that night, about 8:30, and all the kids (including 2 neighbor kids) got to watch!! I posted pictures on another thread I started here

Thanks for all the support!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay... first, take a deep breath. Try to relax. It's stressful whether you have one egg or twenty, but certainly having just the one is a lot of pressure! The first thing to know is that usually chicks who make it this far do just fine whether they end up needing help or not.

The other thing to know is that the chick can live several days in a pipped egg without dying, even if it's stuck.

My duck eggs take between 36-48 hours to hatch after pipping, in general. Chicken eggs are usually a little faster, but my understanding is that 24-36 hours is still pretty normal. Usually the way it happens is that they make the initial pip, then after a few hours, they expand it some, sometimes in a circle and sometimes beginning to move around the egg as though starting to zip. Then they take a LOOOOOOOONG break and sleep, rest, absorb the rest of their yolk.

This is the hard part for we humans, because it looks like they're not doing anything, but they really are. They're storing up the energy they need to come out into the world. This is the hardest work they have ever, and probably will ever, do, so it takes time.

Now, the only thing that concerns me about your situation is that you said it began zipping. How far around the egg has it made it? If it's an inch or less, I'd say that's pretty normal for it to take a long long break. But if it's made it half way or more, then it's kind of weird, but still not cause for alarm. I've had them get stuck at that point and they usually make it out just fine eventually anyway.

The reasons NOT to help are, primarily, that the chick can bleed to death or hatch without the yolk absorbed which is dangerous for a variety of reasons. Two major things are happening during the long wait. One is that the chick has had its main nutrient supply outside its body for the past 21 days in the form of the yolk, which is attached to its belly. Inside the egg, having a mass of pulpy flesh and nutrients external to the body is no problem. Outside the egg, it is an invitation to harmful bacteria and an impediment to movement and, in a word, very dangerous. So the chick takes several hours to absorb that yolk into its body and close up the skin around it, so it is less vulnerable to bacteria.

The second thing that is happening is that the chick is shutting down most of the major blood vessels outside its body. Inside the egg, the chick obtains nutrients and moisture from the yolk and white, and delivers waste materials out of its body, all through an elaborate network of blood vessels outside its body. Many of these blood vessels are in the inner membrane that surrounds the chick. During the hatch, the vigorous work of hatching causes those blood vessels to shut down so that when the chick punches through the membrane, it doesn't also punch through active blood vessels and bleed to death.

If you help the baby too soon you will punch through those blood vessels while they are still functioning, thereby weakening and possibly killing the chick. Likewise, if it comes out of the shell before the yolk is absorbed, you expose all that tender tissue to the outside world without a protective skin, and you risk killing the baby from infection. It's kind of like having internal organs on the outside--not a good thing.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't help the baby. But if in doubt, it is usually safer to wait, especially since it's only been a few hours. After 24 you have my permission to BEGIN worrying. [​IMG]

Edited to correct typoes.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I agree with curiosity cat. for now pop in a dvd make a bowl of popcorn wait. later if it has not made any progress you can lightly mist the egg with warm water, very lightly, I only recommend this because you are having humidity issues.

4. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    I would give him more time to hatch. He could just be having a nap. Good luck.

5. detali

detali Songster

May 9, 2009
    I just helped a chick hatch. Two days ago, which was day 18, this egg got crushed in on one side, but the membrane was still there. I'm assuming that the shell was too weak. At any rate, I could not leave it that way since hatch day was still a few days away. I took it inside and with masking tape taped the crushed part shut and gave it back to mamma. Today, day 19, a little leg was sticking out and kicking. I looked where the beak was supposed to be peeking out. Couldn't see any. But from where I heard the cheeping, I pulled away a little of the membrane to expose the beak to air. Gave it back to mamma for a few hours. Just checked it again. All the membrane from underneath the masking tape was shrink-wrapped to the baby. I took it back inside and with a damp warm washcloth wrapped the whole thing up and just held it for a while. When I checked it again the membrane came off easily, umbelical cord was still attached. So I wrapped it up in a warm, damp washcloth again and held it in the cup of my hand for a few more minutes. Then after a bit I checked again and the whole chick was free. I just came in from giving it back to mamma to dry off.

6. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    Okay, deep breath taken. Thank you so much curiositycat for all that information!! I appreciate that tremendously. Muddyhorse and Delta, thank you as well.

I'm going to moisten the white membrane, carefully (without too much water) and then wait. I've already sewn up a little chicken lovey for this baby, the kids drew pictures to hang on the walls for it's "home", and I'm starting to put it all together now. I was going to wait and do this to kill time while I waited for it to fluff up after it hatched...but whatever gets me through at this time I guess, lol. I swear, I'm the most impatient person!!!!

Thanks again! Pictures of this baby are going up as soon as it hatches!!!

7. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    Thank you Detali~ That's a sweet story. I'm sure that one will be extra special to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by