I'm thinking about making Nora an advocate?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    So a few weeks ago I posted about taking my RIR rooster, Nugget, to petco. It was a hoot. Since, my OEGB Hen, Nora, has frequented our local town, as well as the farmers market in the next town over and my grandmother's senior apartment complex! So it got me thinking, Nora has a flightsuit, similar to the ones people put on parrots, because she's just too small for a harness, I wonder if I could put some kind of print on the suit? Or maybe a pocket on the side of her bag (she rides in one of those bags made to carry around little dogs) with the BYC Buisness Cards or something like them in it. People are ALWAYS asking WHY I'm carrying around a chicken, commenting on how dirty and mean chickens are, ect. So I usually give them my speech about how productive our young hens are at pest control, how cheap they are to feed, how friendly they are, ect. and people are always interested and a few have asked me were they should start if they wanted to start a small flock. I always refer them back here [​IMG] So I'm thinking about making her an advocate for backyard chickens everywhere! Any ideas/suggestions/criticisms? And also, does anyone know the quote about "A chicken in every backyard" and who said it? Thanks for your input!!!

2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    I think it was
    "a chicken for every pot"
    but a chicken for every backyard could be your slogan!
    for some reason, I am thinking it was used as a campaign slogan during the depression.
    but, american history was a long time ago for me.

how wonderful, making nora a goodwill chicken ambassador.
    i admire your initiative.

beth

3. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Ha! Yeah "A chicken for every pot" might not be such a good slogan for a backyard flock (I can hear my ladies running scared now [​IMG]) I must admit this wasn't totally my idea, I actually took a cue from "Mother Goose"? I found her site when first looking for chicken diapers, she has ducks and geese she takes places, and I figured what better way to promote sustainability? [​IMG]

4. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Why not? I use my little Bantam Cochin hen Petunia (a.k.a. Pooty) as an advocate. They don't come much nicer than Pooty. She is a regular sight around town because she goes for bike rides, wagon rides, walks, and for rides on the electric scooter with the kids. Oh, and she likes going roller skating with them too. People get a kick out her and how friendly she is. When people come to my house and they are not familiar with chickens, I always introduce them to her first since she is the most gentle. Her daughter Penny is proving to be just as sweet, though she's young and still a bit jumpy, but Pooty is the sweetest thing ever. Once I get another car I'd love to take her to the pet store with me and see how people react. I think she would really like the attention. I just love my chickens to pieces. [​IMG]

5. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    me and 1 of my friends where joking about taking 1 of my silkies into petsupplys plus just for kicks see how many ppl know its even a birdbut is there some way to make a temp diaper cuz i dont see me buying 1

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Hubert Hoover promised a 'chicken in every pot'. I know a lady who take her banty hen to nursing homes. She is the star attraction!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by