1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm thinking about making sausages..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CricketYang, Nov 1, 2010.

1. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Where do I buy the casings? I live in Michigan. Do they sell them at the grocery store or will I have to go to a specialty shop?

2. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Most butcher shops are happy to call in an order for you if you give them a call. You can choose from synthetic or intestines then.

3. DIYSeattle

DIYSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Maple Leaf
    If you use the natural ones be sure to remember that they stink. Terribly. At least the sheep casings that I get do. I ordered mine online. I freeze the carcass a little and it makes it easier for me to get it off the bone.

4. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    The first time I bought them, I got them online. The price was high but the shipping was included. I got this tiny package in the mail and I felt like I got ripped off. Those casings went a long way. I've since asked at the meat dept of the grocery store and they sell them to me for only a couple of bucks. It's a much better deal than ordering them. As a previous poster mentioned, they do stink but you don't smell it in the finished sausage.

Brian

5. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    Try some local grocery stores (usually the smaller ones). They usually label them as either beef or pork casings and can come in a 12 oz plastic container.

6. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    You can get them from a butcher, but the High Mountain kits usually have them in there, and they work nicely. I like to tweak the recipes though [​IMG] I've made sausage from venison and duck using the kits, I just consider it meat, and buy beef or pork fat from the store to add in (the butcher will save it for you if you ask nice [​IMG] ).

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Duh, just saw where you're from. Hit up Merindorf Meats. They usually have casings, and the kits, and will sell you fat!

http://www.merindorfmeats.com/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. DIYSeattle

DIYSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Maple Leaf
    I got to where Id ont put much fat in the sausages that I make, especially with casings. If you do it gradually you wont miss it, at least I didnt. Its healthier I believe. If it has fat on or in it when I grind it then it goes in but I dont add any extra fat. Part of making my own sausage was to be healthier and to have control of what Im eating. Ive made sausage with hens past their prime, rabbits past their fryer stages, large cuts of bulk pork, and a few other things. I usually just make patties from mine.

9. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    If you are going to smoke or BBQ them, then casing is the way to go. However, like DIYseattle just said, we also usually don't take the extra step of stuffing our sausage in casings. The casings are a hassle, for the most part, even with a sausage stuffer. For our breakfast sausages, we do them loose, like Jimmy Dean, and then wrap tightly in butcher paper and freeze.

If you are doing lean or tough meat (turkey legs, or venison) then a little pork back fat makes a huge difference. Without it, the sausage would be like eating sawdust. The added fat is probably not so necessary for young chickens.

I've said this next thought so many times, I probably should figure out how to put it in my signature line, but here it is again: we LOVE our Kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment. Duck sausage, turkey sausage, venison sausage, the occasional lamb meatballs, venison and bacon meatloaf...

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    talk to steve of sands poultry he has some really great sounding recipes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by