I'm thinking about.......

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sonjab314, Feb 1, 2011.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I've been lurking in the forum for the past few days trying to get as much info as I can about quail. I am seriously thinking about getting them for meat but I've never eat quail. I did read that a lot of you prefer bobs for meat flavor and I was looking at the Georgia Giants but then again I was looking and Jumbo Coturnix. My questions are, well, what does quail taste like? What do the eggs taste like? What would be good for beginners? I seen some Jumbo Golden Coturnix on ebay and I thought they were lovely. But what does looks have to do with it really if you are going to eat them lol. I did read the sticky at the beginning of the forum and found it very insightful. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Eggs taste pretty much the same but are awesom pickled and they are a little bit healthier.Cant tell you how they taste but I am butchering a couple extra males tommorow for the first time.Coturnix are the best for beginners in my opinion,it doesnt matter what color as long as they are jumbo.

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Quail meat is good. I dont know about pen raised i usually eat wild quail. It is usually dark and a little tougher than chicken. Really good wrapped in bacon!!

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would start with some coturnix, more efficient and easier.

5. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:I seen your auction and I was wondering how many Jumbo you have to go in that batch of eggs?

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    My birds are all big, they are the same size as the jumbos but different colors. They weigh around 12 or 13 ounces at 10 weeks, but some hit 14 every now and then.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    j

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WILD QUAIL AS IN WILD BOB WHITES? THEY REALLY DONT COMPARE [​IMG]

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    A wild bobwhite leaves a coturnix in the dust every time, a bobwhite has better meat but are terribly inefficient. If you have the time, patience, money, and mild temper bobs are the way to go if you want the best meat. Coturnix are delicious, but don't compare to a bobwhite.

10. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    me=patient [​IMG] I'll take the Coturnix lol at least to start out with [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by