Im thinking cockerel ...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rennie, May 22, 2010.

1. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    This was hatched under a duck and hand rared .. Im thinking it is a boy ..He is trying to crow even at such a young age .. The reason why im asking for a second opionion though is because i have girls that also pretend to crow too ..

If anyone can throw some breed guesses in to i wouldnt mind ... I have an idea but not 100% sure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. missionarywife

missionarywife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    He doesn't look like a girl to me.

3. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    he dosent act like a girl either lol ...

4. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    could be an EE but not really sure, there are a few other things it could be too but I definately think it is in fact a roo.

5. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    [​IMG]

New pic.. a few people i know have said this might now be a hen ... anyone think the same ??

The reason being is that its an old english game and the colours of it does not look like a roo .. (in there opinions)

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Looks like a Campine cockerel. OEG's should only have white legs, the bantams in the campine variety created by Ideal do come green/slate I believe but that is due to a outcross. He's also too big for a bantam, and the large fowl do not come in that coloration. American game is a option since they look similar to the OEG and often people confuse them, but his coloring is a females. I would expect him to be more red/orange colored as a Redquill.

-Daniel

ETA:You know, I just noticed you're from England so exclude the leg color comment. Are you sure he is a OEG? If so is it possible he is hen-feathered like the Campines?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  7. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    So what your saying is even he doesnt know what he wants to be [​IMG] ... He is a Roo dressed like an American game female lol

I agree he is to big to be a bantam .. but i dont think he is a campine although from what i just found on google he does look like one.. The place where he came from doesnt have any of those to my knowledge but has many american game and old english .. (From what i was told he is one of the 2 lol .. )

The bottom line is though I dont want and cant really have another cockerel .. So i guess when he starts to crow he has to go unfortunatley,

8. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    -I did post a pic of what i thought looked like his dad off google .. .but like you say the american and old english game look the same ..

What i will do is take a real pic of his actual parents tomorrow so you can see for yourself

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Alright sounds good, I could probably pinpoint them then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by