1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm thinking I might have a rooster, but can't tell WHO!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    someone is sounding "gawk gawk" instead of cheep cheep. even my 7y old noticed. that means rooster right? like the pre-crow? LOL

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No, that wouldn't necessarily mean rooster. My australorp sounded like a goose when she was growing up, and I have a 9 mo. old plymouth rock who still sounds like a goose or something...

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I have EE pullets who sound to me like seagulls lol

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Youll know when they try to crow, lol. It sounds so....sad. They puff up their little chest, stick their little neck out and try so hard and it looks like its going to turn into some earth moving cock-a-doodle-doo, and all it is is a depressing honka-squeaky-honk, like when you are about about ready to have a big sneeze and then you lose it hahaha. What you are probably hearing is your little peeps voice craking like 13 boy going through puberty as they transition from their cute little peeps and whistles to the deeper, raspier, hen (or rooster) sounds.

5. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    OMgosh, the descriptions, SO FUNNY!!!!

Maybe it is the EE's then? I'll have to listen in more tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by