I'm thinking mites (shudder). Where do I get the stuff to treat it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by forestrymom, Sep 27, 2011.

1. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    I live in the country--like 80 miles from ANYThing. I need to order online. I'm not sure what I'm going to order yet, but I'm pretty sure its mites. We have lots of dust for them to bathe in, so I'm a little perplexed. My husband will spread ash and make an ash bath right next to the coop. I need to clean the coop out anyway, but should I spray it with something? Also where do I buy food grade DE and whatever else I will need. I'm not opposed to chemicals but need to know the egg withholding times as well. I have 3 little ones and a fulltime job, and dh is going to be gone the rest of the week. I'm sorry I would look google and look, but I'm really short on time right now, so I really, really appreciate someone "holding my hand" through this. I'm very frustrated. We got goats and everyone said it would be years before we had problems, and we had all sorts of problems right off the bat. Same thing with the chickens, LOL. My grandma said they never had mites/lice, or I'd ask her. She had chickens for 50 years! Go figure!

BTW, we have a small farm and we built it from scratch, so no other chickens have ever been here.

Thanks a bunch!

2. forestrymom

Sep 11, 2010
    Also, we have a small coop, but they free range all day, so really aren't overcrowded except at night, and because of where we live they have to be kept in close quarters for warmth. Its a new coop and I clean it biweekly.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use Permethrin 10% spray and generic ivermectin pour on. The permethrin sprays lasts about 28 days and you can increase the dilution rate for use on the roosts/coop. Ivermectin pour on goes right onto the back of the birds neck. I've heard it lasts around 6 weeks or so. If you use the Epirnex brand ivermectin pour on there is no withdrawl time. I use the generic, so I just don't use it on the layers/birds I eat the eggs from. .25 cc for bantams, .50 cc for standards. I use a bit more than that, but thats the 'general' dose.

Permethrin 10% I mix up in a pump sprayer and go around at night and spray the birds down. I'll also spray down the roosts/coop/run with it. Wear a mask, and it is also toxic to cats. I have 2 cats that go outside and never had a problem with it. When I spray it I bring the cats in until it's dry.

DE is more of a preventative and probably won't do much if you have an infestation.

You can order all this stuff online.

http://www.amazon.com/Ivomec-Eprine...YC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1317222654&sr=8-11
    http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Iverme...OEIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317222654&sr=8-1
    I use the Durvet brand ivermectin.

http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Permet...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1317222697&sr=1-1

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Sundown Silkies.......you seem to really know your stuff........that's a great tip on the epirnex ivermectin pour on! I had an infestation of what I believe was lice (tiny grey bugs) about 2 months ago and now have it again. I pretty sure it's either down to my crooked beak not being able to groom or to the straw I put down in the run to dry up the ground a little after 5 days of rain. Last time I dusted all birds with a poultry dust and sprayed the coop with permethrin and managed to get rid of it pretty fast. I also sprinkled DE in the new bedding. How often do you use the epirnex ivermectin and do you use DE as a preventative? And if so, how often?

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Also google "Poultry Protector". Manna Pro is the company....
    I can't speak for its efficacy but I'm using it now and hoping it's wonderful given it is portrayed as nontoxic (to all but the bugs..).
    JJ

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  6. forestrymom

Sep 11, 2010
    Quote:Thank you this is very helpful! Is there no withholding time on the permethrin?

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thank you this is very helpful! Is there no withholding time on the permethrin?

I don't see anything about withdrawl time on the permethrin. The permethrin is applied to the feathers where the ivermectin gets absorbed. All I do is rinse off the eggs.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Hi Forestrymom,

Hope the problem is all fixed by now. I have been gone a few days---but it sounds like you are totally on top of everything.

There is a video, I think from YouTube of a man dusting a hen for mites you can find it toward the bottom of my byc page. He looks so successful doing it, and the hen looks pretty relaxed by the process. Just thought that it may be helpful to you.

Good luck and I hope that your outcome turns it aound. I sooooo sympathize with the "goats -- no problems", the "chickens no problems". -- and then surprise, a problem here and there. But ...""What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -Friedrich Nietzsche "

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by